cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

brenda61

Women Quitters in Their 50's

Hi. Not sure I am in menopause but I am 49. will be 50 in oct.  I think i might be in pre meno and i also have copd.  I quit march 27 cold turkey.  Pray for me as I am also suffering from memory loss

0 Kudos
126 Replies
kim146

Okay.  So I got a grip on my weight issues.  I now run up and down the stairs BECAUSE I CAN!  Yippee!

0 Kudos
newlife5

hi my name is izzy  and i would like to join your group... maybe it will give me a different perspctive on my weight gain... I never had too much problems taking it off in the past but since i have become (older)   it is very hard ...and now that i quit smoking  I am packing on the pounds.. and im  just here looking for some tips on losing it 

0 Kudos
kim146

Hi Izzy,  Glad you stopped by.  I'm sure the weight gain is partially because of age, in addition to the quitting smoking.  I've been a size 4-6 for years now, and up until 30 days ago, that started changing radically.  I went shopping and couldn't even fit into 10s.  I also know I retain water.  In the last 2 days I've seemed to "normalize" and was able to fit into size 8.  But, that was enough to scare me so I have started exercising.  And I have to admit, it's been fun being able to BREATHE. 

0 Kudos
angela63

Hello Everyone. I have day and half until quit. Am getting ready. I have smoked a pack a day for 35 years. (Seeing that in print is quite scary)  Have been reading your stories and you all sound like a good group of ladies. Any advice you can pass along will be welcome. I am feeling my health and vitality slipping away rapidly and am hoping this quit will help.Actually I know it will. I will be the first to admit I have felt hopeless about quitting and improving my health. But giving in to that only leads me further down that unhealthy road. 

0 Kudos
ninepatch

Hi Angela...I'm only into my 63rd day of no smoking.  But I have gone thru alot of ups and downs.  I never thought I could quit smoking.  I told myself I loved it too much.  Well, all it took was a cancer scare and poof!  I have the strength and power within me to put those nasty things down.   If you are really feeling unhealthy I can tell you.  It will be tough, you'll cry, you might even scream or want to slap someone, but giving up smoking is the best thing I have ever done in my life for myself.  I am doing this for me.  I feel so much better.  I will say that I have an eating disorder now.  Ha!  Actually, everything does taste better and I find myself grabbing at the good stuff too much.  I need to focus on the water and start exercising like Kim is doing.  I really need to because I was already very obese to begin with.  If I gain one more pound I might just explode.  Angela, you can quit.  You need to make up your mind and hold to your promise to yourself.  You will love yourself for doing this............ 🙂

0 Kudos
kim146

I just want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas.  Be safe and stay true to your quit.  See you all next year.

0 Kudos
bartsmama405

Hi!  My name is Janeen and I quit today.  Actually yesterday was suppose to be my quit day, but it didn't happen.  I was bored and lonely and me and the four legged furries were stuck inside due to snow so I finished the last 8 cigarettes I had in the house and haha went to bed early so I wouldn't have to think about it. 

I'm 55 years old and have been smoking since I was 12.  TOO long a time.  I have tried to quit smoking before and even used Chantix once but it gave me the screaming out in the night nightmares and I was afraid to go to sleep until I got off the stupid stuff...and of course went back to smoking.

One thing about it...the snow is too thick and I live on hills so I can't get out into my car to go get cigarettes...so I guess my first day will be a "You can do this!".

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to keep your temper? haha...Snow and 6 furries that are just as stuck in the house as I am...altho they are all indoor kitties and are used to it, just not a non-smoking mama!  They are probably screaming "someone help our mama - we have no closet room to throw her into!"

0 Kudos

Hi my name is Donna tonight is my last nite smoking,tomarrow jan 1st is my quit date iwill be smokefree for the new year,going thu so many changes this year, changed jobs after 35 years, son came home from prison chistmas,best present of all;after 6 years. and my niece Amanda 24yrs old was diagnosied w/ 4th stage Adrenial Cancer and is now in Hospice care,after coming back from Irag,  7 in her unit had already passed away, so w/Amanda it is literally second by second.,I now work at the hospital with Baker Acts ( suicideal Patients) so I am around Death every day,it consumes me., but i have to quit now there is no right time,so tonights the last cig I will eversmoke..dont mean to be such a drag but this is what I am going thru now... I am not one to ask for help, encouragemnt or .a kind word, I am usually the one doing that for everyon else.. Bu now I know I truly need to reach out to someone and ask for help ,I am humbly asking now, could use some  fiiends, cant go to my family there all to distraute!! so i have no one but me and hopefully some of you. Thank you for letting me decompress and vent, I so need this!!! thanks again, Donna

0 Kudos
ellimac

day 1 tracking, target quit date is 01 MAR... 

I think I will need a good while to adjust to tracking and I'm hoping that the ritual of recording this crap in a journal fashion will help me.  My target quit is timed close to my 49th birthday.  I really want to be free and clear of this mess a good bit ahead of my 50th birthday!

I am hoping that this group will be the extra edge (or swift kick in the arse) that will help me to stay on track.  Self discipline has never been my strong suit, I am a life long hedonist who's lived by the following:

If it feels good - Do It !!!

Sex - Drugs - Rock & Roll

There are 2 ways to do everything; My Way and The Wrong Way

So far, these themes have been fun but they are no longer practical.  As I leave my 40's I want to retain the best of my free spirited hippy self and capitalize on all the lessons I've learned along the way.  Clearly the lesson that smoking doesn't make any positive contribution to ME has been a slow & steep learning curve.

0 Kudos
shoosh

Here to quit for good. Almost 24 hours, and pretty calm after reading Allen Carr's book.

0 Kudos