cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

brenda61

Women Quitters in Their 50's

Hi. Not sure I am in menopause but I am 49. will be 50 in oct.  I think i might be in pre meno and i also have copd.  I quit march 27 cold turkey.  Pray for me as I am also suffering from memory loss

0 Kudos
126 Replies
cyn9

We need to get this going again.

melissa131

Well maybe I'm just "sensitive" as my boyfriend says..I mean I was raised by a raising concious hippy, vegetarian artists. But...I think I am starting to have issues and I am only 47. I tried health food, but recently quit eating soy, as I have benighn cysts. They dont feel so benign, but from what I hear if it hurts it's good, because cancer you can hardly feel until it's too late. I had an ultra sound. Anyway..grrr...I just feel like crying for no reason sometimes, and then sometimes I think I have a lot of reasons, i didn''t finish college, and they are garnishing my wages to pay my student loans, my car broke a few years ago, and I am raising  a teenage boy, who wants a car, but I can't even afford any car. It's not all bad, I think the exercise from not haveing a car really helps. To prevent bronchitus flare ups...but..well that's my story. sniff. Today was a particularly bad day, I tripped on the way to catch the bus, and the bus driver just kept going. Then I got to work and my boss snapped at me. so, I just started crying. I am going ot make a dr. appt on Monday. 

0 Kudos
ldl

Consequences of 'Smoking". Can't breath right. Smell. Cost. Loss of Time. Are you serious? The list is as long as the "earth" is wide....Let's talk about "gratitude" of not smoking???

Anyone here?????

jewel9

Yoga is a great exercise for women 50+.  My entire life I have exercised.  My 20 and 30's were aerobics and weight lifting.  My 40's it was walking and swimming.  Now in my 50's its' yoga..   It's a wonderful tool to get you in shape and make you more mindful of you.  It has been instumental in my quit also.   Breathing and meditation  during my yoga, are key elements in keeping me quit.   Are there any yoganinis out there?  

donna-b2

I am 52 and have been in menopause for about 5 years; full blown symptoms that have made my quit more challenging.  if there are woman out there going through the same delima please join and perhaps we can help each other in both the menopause symptoms, and the challenges that go along with the quitting process while in menopause.

0 Kudos
cyn9

Hi Donna, I am also 52 and started menopause about the time I quit smoking. What a roller coaster! I was at the Dr.s 2 weeks ago wanting to get some relief. She put me on an anti depressant. Not good. Terrible reaction to it. I went back and told her I wanted to try bioidentical hormone replacement. That I was only depressed because of the symptons from menopause and quitting smoking. She agreed.... so I just saw a pharmasist today that is well educated in bio Id. hormones and he will (along with my Dr.) regulate the right dosing etc. for me. He will contact me tomorrow after he goes over my history etc.

It kind of pisses me off that the Dr put me on meds for depression instead of treating the problem. Scared me half to death!

0 Kudos
la2012

I am here, 52 also!!! Just posted a blog, wasn't sure how to respond to the group.  Looking forward to talking with y'all.  would like to give you my phone number, too - let me know, would be fun to chat the old fashioned way too!

0 Kudos
donna-b2

so glad to see response to this group  i knew i couldn't be alone in this duel dilema  lol

cyn, bioidentical hormone replacement; is that something new?  not familar with it but would love to know how that goes.  keep us informed.

its been such a hard quit with menopause on top of it.  really glad for your responses.

these are my major symptoms now-

hot flashes are unreal in themself, add on the moodswings which make it even harder to quit, fatigue, back aches, head aches, anxiety attacks. i suffer what i can only describe as a low mood; not really depression, just kinda flatlined mood, thats hard to cope with.  i don't think people understand how exhausting hot flashes are they seem to deplete you don't you think?

all though i must say im on day 12 of my quit and am suddenly losing the severity of alot of these symptoms. today was like a magic day.  i am suddenly feeling great.  im thinking that perhaps the smoking amplified the menopause symptoms.  which is probably the case considering what they do to the body  it only makes sense. 

i think it might be good for us all to introduce ourselves; ill start

my name is donna,  im looking at 53 yrs old this july.  im a divorced mom with 3 kids and 1 grand-daughter  my youngest will be 18 in march.  spent my life taking care of others, and now am entering the time of my life that is MINE.  i'm an activity director at an alzheimer's assisted living community.  been working with dementia since 98 and though i love my work, am needing a change before i need a room- lol.  been looking at changing careers at 53. 

decided i had to make quitting happen before i became to ill to enjoy my senior years

sorry if i rambled, don't feel like you have to give your life story, just knowing a little about each other would be helpful

0 Kudos
donna-b2

oh almost forgot- im from toledo ohio  born and raised bet lived in fla for 4 yrs

0 Kudos
cyn9

Hi guys. I'm from Eastern Montana. Love the out doors, am divoriced raising my 12 yr. old son who has some disabilities. I do wood refinishing in a shop out back, and lamb sheep for a ranch every spring. I also help calve sometimes. We have 6 chickens, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 gerbils, fish and a sheep.

Donna, bioidentical hormones are natural not synthetic. Much safer and better for you.  I have to run, but will be back.......  Cyndie

0 Kudos