cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mason

When do you feel that you are out of the woods?

In your experience, at what point do you begin to feel that you have "beat" this habit, i.e. when do you begin to feel that your life as a smoker is a distant memory? When do your triggers no longer trigger the craving for a cigarette? I'm only on day 8 and feeling good, but just wondering whats in store for the future.

Thanks
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
leah7

Hey, in 3 days it will be my four month mark... I can't tell you the last time it was that I "needed" a cigarette. I mean, I want one, but the same as I want to eat a my way through a family size bag of potato chips or "brake check" the Escalade that cut me off. It's just one of those things that I know I want but really, I don't.
The feelings pass, really. And for the most part, when I do really get the urge, I just think to myself all the reasons why I quite and I'm fine.
I don't know if this will help you, but my anniversary days were the three day mark; when the withdraws end (3-5 days). Two week mark; when the body is physically adjusted to not having nicotine The three month mark; most people who quit start smoking with-in three months. The one year mark; I once read that 95% of people who stay smoke free for one year, will remain smoke free.
Also, I should mention that if you're taking replacement therapy or pills, than the anniversaries will be after you've cut those off, too.
Good luck!!!
0 Kudos

I am smoke free for almost 6 weeks - this coming tuesday it will be six weeks.

The last time I quit for any length of time, I went for three months, and then started again. So, once I have passed the three month mark, I will definitely celebrate that milestone. I can't wait until it is a year!!!

This is actually **easier** **clinch** than I thought - in that, as long as I choose to stay smoke free, I will. I am not saying that I don't want one, cause I do, but it is like what the others have said on this post, that I too want to have some potato chips. But, I do not want the whole bag. And, since I am a nicotine addict, there is no such thing as just one cigarette. I know from my own personal experience that one is too many, and 100 not enough. NOPE - NOT ONE PUFF EVER is my motto now.

I did have a dream the other night, that I was laying in bed, and there was a pack of cigarettes next to me - I was smoking, someone walked into the room, I put the cigarette out, and wondered where the heck the pack came from, because I did not remember buying them.

I know it will always be there - kind of like that feeling you get when you think of an old relationship - that longing for the 'good times' but with cigarettes, there really were no good times. The biggest thing I miss is the taste. But, most of the time, the taste made me want to quit. So, there you go. What an evil addiction it is. Something that I really did not want to do, I was compelled to do.

I love my freedom, and the thoughts that I do not have to make room for that oxygen tank as an accessory.

Keep up the good work. You may never be out of the 'woods' but you will find clearings in your path.
0 Kudos
linda53

thanks for the comment this is my first day of the 7th time to quit and im so glad to have access to the world of exs i will celebrate after 21 days that seems to be my breaking point just when i think i have this demon under control it rearsits ugly head have a peaceful smokefree day
0 Kudos
kim-clark

I agree with what everyone is saying here. The last time I 'sincerely' quit was when I found out that I had pneumonia I swore it was the Divine 'telling' me it was my time to quit. I was SOOOO sure that was it and then 4 months later I was smoking again. So now, to REALLY make sure, I went on National TV and appeared on the Today Show on "Parents that vow to Quit" and I feel fabulous. I have beat myself up too many times and the guilt has weighed on me more than I can bear. I think all of us will always have thoughts no matter how long we stay ExSmokers. It comes down to what we want to take back on. I realized the other day - If I were to slip - what would be the payoff??? Nothing - just more guilt. I am an addict and know, like Puss Cat, not one puff.
0 Kudos