cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

hollyrose

What's Your Experience?

Hello, I'm over the three day hump and now I'm on day four. Quitting forever seems impossible right now, but I've been doing it one day at a time - I know I can not smoke for just one day.

But I still wonder about your experiences. What was the hardest time period for you to quit? Was it the first week? Two weeks? I read somewhere most people give up after 2 days and I want to be on guard. 

Thanks so much for your insight!

18 Replies
Sootie

Hard to say what the hardest part was....and truth be told....hard to remember now. I think the first couple weeks were difficult........but, there can still be curves and surprises after several months. You just need the mindset of knowing it may be tough but it is so worth it. After awhile.......you simply forget. I sometimes REALLY (REALLY) forget that I smoked for so long. And I completely forget WHY IN THE WORLD I thought it was so great.

Stay strong.

I'll tell you what my easiest day was, when I finally let go of that stranglehold of that cigarette and come to the acceptance of I'm just one of those people that can never have another puff ever, I'm not an occasional smoker, I have a problem with nicotine.  I know it will work its way through my body and I have to relearn life as a nonsmoker.  smoking did nothing for me.  I did everything for myself. I am in control and I'm just simply not doing that any longer.   That's not part of who I am anymore.  it's just something I used to do.

hollyrose

This is all really useful advice. This is actually the first morning I didn't wake up craving a cigarette. I tried to do this by pure will power the first three days. Yesterday I employed coping techniques like meditation, breathing and stretching. Will power is kind of over rated

Do NOT think about tomorrow. It could get a bit overwhelming. Dwell on today, right now & stay in the moment. Forever will show up when you least expect it.

Keep on keepin on,

M n @

missellen

Hi Holly,

I'm in the same boat as you.  I am on my fifth day today and this morning has been the worst so far for me.  I think I fell into a magical thinking trap that once I got the first 3 days without nicotine in my system, it would be smooth sailing! I mean, I knew it wouldn't be, but I didn't expect it to be quite this bad! 

Right now, I'm spending a lot of time on this site, probably boring people to death with my woes, doing deep breathing and drinking a lot of water and chewing gum.   Best of luck to you.  We CAN beat this!

Take care,

Ellen

GyorgyiM

Welcome to one of the largest Compassionate, Functioning, Dysfunctional, Recovering, Healthy, Happy, Crazy, Supportive and Loving families......

DON'T QUIT SMOKING..

STOP SMOKING.....!!!! 

Don't over process....Perhaps at this time you may not want to saturate yourself with the past hardships of others. ....Focus on those that have positive and consistent  input. When you feel more comfortable, then it will be easier to read those that have had struggles and perhaps by then you can offer your own positive feedback as well....

Just a thought.....

Miles of Smiles.....we've got your back!

G.

hollyrose

Yeah that's good advice. It's hard to live in the present, not the past, not the future. I do know I can not smoke today though. My friend reminded me of a slogan I know well: one day at a time. Still, it's hard not to wonder. This is a very supportive community and this time I do believe I will make it because I am reaching out for help. Thanks again everyone

Lonita

Quitting a bad habit is very difficult especially when your habit has over 4000 chemical every single one of them.  My bad days seriously day 3, week 3, month 3, and No man's land, I thought I was never going to get outta of there.  To my surprise one day the craving, the habit was completely gone and I made it through.  The only way to quit is to protect it.

Anything gets your mind off of it. I work in an office I smell smoke on other people paper works.  It's horrible.  Being a former smoker you will be more sensitive to the smell and I promise you will hate the smell and Lysol can only do so much. When I had cravings and I got to a point I was fixing to give in. I smell of someone who smokes.... The smells of

cigarettes made me run away.  Smokers STINKS there is no nice way of saying it.  Then I watch smokers freezing outside to get their drug. Hey, I use to do that. But not anymore.  I used to say one craving at a time and when it was gone I dance if I could. Sing or hum my quitting song.  If you need to sing your song when you are having a craving. Sing it.

Do anything but smoke.. You will regret it if you don't protect your quit.  Remember your getting your life back in which is called freedom.

Lonita

0 Kudos