cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

EX_Team
Community Manager
Community Manager

What advice would you give to someone quitting for the first time?

Post your advice below!

19 Replies
brittann3

I would definitely read about how nicotine affects the brain and WHY it feels as if you cannot survive without smoking. It's a powerful drug impacting the brain!! I had attempted many quits in the past and never did I fully understand what I was really struggling with. It's not a habit or simply a change in behavior. It is a combination of addiction as well as a change in perspective and mindset. Once you see that smoking is nothing to miss and that, by simply choosing NOT to smoke day after day after day, you are getting further and further away from the thing that controls you.

I would recommend reading Alan Carr's book, The Easy Way to Quit Smoking. Now, I didn't read this until after I had already began my quit but the book is written as if you are still smoking. Either way should work. I think my mindset had already begun to change so maybe it was easier, maybe not. But I know his perspective on smoking, and how much control we actually do have over the choice to smoke, made a huge difference for me.

Decide you are done smoking. No matter what. Do that first. Then come here every day and read old blogs full of so much advice!! Do those things and you'll be surprised how much more easily it is to quit than you ever imagined!

Giulia

As a member who has over a ten year quit and has been on this site observing those who succeed and those who fail I would say the following:  The first thing one should begin with is the right attitude.  How you think about your quit is how your quit will go.  Mindset is something that we must continually work on during this journey.  Major behavioral changes, such as quitting, take a lot of personal work and self evaluation.  And a sense of humor will go a long way in lightening the load.

I'd say that's one of the first building blocks.  A strong preparation is also vitally important.  Many quits fail because we jump in without a great amount of forethought.  Education is the beginning of preparation.  Understanding the nature of this addiction and our personal relationship to is part of our necessary homework.

Once we begin to understand what's necessary, then we can make thoughtful plans.  Setting short-term goals is a good tool to keep the momentum high.

Perseverance is key.  The freedom so desired does not happen over night.  The cure for cravings is time.  Time away from our old smoking selves.  Time to adjust to our new non-smoking lifestyle.  So we have to be willing to commit to our quit, perhaps make sacrifices when necessary, and accept the journey with all it's ups and downs FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES.

And finally, we need to pay attention and stay mindful and aware all along the journey.  And we do that by keeping a connection to a support site such as EX.  It can be through reading, furthering our education, offering support to others, asking questions, venting when times get tough.  That's part of the necessary quit maintenance.  Our quits must be nourished and encouraged on a regular basis, else they dwindle and we become liable to relapse. 

Believe in yourself.  Believe that you CAN quit.  Just look around this place at all those who have achieved freedom from the slavery of this addiction and be inspired!  We KNOW you can quit!  Because we did.  And we're no different than you.

brittann3

Nice!! ~Very similar to what I said... just better.

diamond01

That was so good, I am having a hard time tonight, and just reading posts, and crying thank you for the post it is helping. Helen.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

No to ever take another puff no matter what. 

terri54

That's what happened to me. I was quit for over 2 years then 1 led to another. It wasn't 1 and then another on the same day either. It was 1 on one day and then the next day at around the same time it was another until I started smoking 2 a day then 3, and so on and so forth. At the end of about 2 months, I was back to where I started. I had to quit all over again. The next quit was even harder. So not 1 is a good rule of thumb, when you look at your thumb you can remember the rule.

0 Kudos
sophia-22

I would definitely read "Freedom from Nicotine" as well as the Allen Carr book "Easy way to stop smoking". Education on nicotine addiction is so important. You will see cigarettes for what they really are.

Also, be very careful with drinking alcohol in the first month of your quit. Your judgment and inhibitions are very low and you don't need to put yourself in that position until you have a firm grip on your quit. 

Get rid of all of your cigarettes in your home, car, office etc.... Don't have them readily available. Most cravings come and go within minutes, if you have them around you are tempting yourself unnecessarily.

terri54

"The Easy Way" is a great book and it helped me to quit. Reviewing it helped me to stop again!

0 Kudos
MarilynH

You must be willing, determined and totally committed to succeed and then you can and will be successful in quitting smoking, believing in yourself is key to success!