cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

melissa131

Wellbutrin / Bupropion

Hi, Not sure if this is a topic already somewhere, but I am taking Wellbutrin. At first it made my head a little tingly. That worried me, as I have hit my head in that same area a long time ago. So I stopped taking it, then I decided it was working, i.e. it made cigarettes taste and smell gross. So I started taking it again. After about 2 weeks the main side effects wore off, the over focusing on things, and weird feelings. Now I feel pretty good. I think it has helped me in other areas, I have more energy, I feel more focused, and happy. But I am still smoking. I know it's not a magic pill, but reading the side affects on web MD and the fact that I am only taking half of the dose presribed, only the one XL pill in the AM, instead of the two I am supposed to take, because it definetly caused sleeplessness, a problem I never had before I took it. 

NOTE-It also still causes dry mouth, and a new possible side effect that caused me to post, itchy skin. (could be allergies, I take a claritin and it subsides ), but mostly started while taking the wellbutrin. 

I wonder if I should just stop taking it. And if anyone else has input about Wellbutrin/bupropion. One comment on Web MD struck me, of course people don't comment on medication that makes them feel good. This person had a favorable review of Wellbutrin. The one in 50. 

It does seem to cut down on the stressful feelings, when going without cigarettes which is what i have been practicing doing. 

0 Kudos
20 Replies

I tried taking Wellbutrin, but couldn't get past day 3 of taking it. On both the second and third day of taking it, the nerves in my fingers felt like they were on fire! I discontinued using the medication immediately! Having said that, I should also tell you that I'm the extremely sensitive type. I tried Chantix and had a negative reaction, as well. If you are suspecting side effects, you need to consult with your dr. just to be on the safe side. Always, always, always listen to your body!!!  Wellbutrin isn't going to make your cravings go away completely. It is just there to help ease the cravings, stress, and depression that go along with quitting smoking. You feel more focused and happier on it becuase it's an anti-depressant. Researchers found, as an added bonus, that people taking it for depression had an easier time quitting smoking. At that point, it was used to help with smoking cessation. If you want to quit, you have to do the work! These other things (medications, patches, gumes, etc.) are here to just ease the transition. Talk to your dr.! ...Also, please post this on the blogs. You will get a greater response since that's where most of the ex community hangs out! 🙂

0 Kudos
melissa131

Thank you leafyfro, yeah, ok, I'll post it on the blogs...later when I get home. I didn't even mean to put it in this section (ask Dr. Hurt I mean). I too am the sensetive type, some of the side effects are weird. I also noticed a slight tremor in my hand yesterday...eeek. 

Melissa 

0 Kudos
jeaninep

I quit smoking "successfully" with Welbutrin - 8 years ago. 7 years without a cigarette, then one day about 10 months ago - Boom. Smoking again.  Weird.

But - I had tried so many other things before Welbutrin and Welbutrin worked great.  The first two weeks are definitely WEIRD - for example I became obsessed with jigsaw puzzles and did one almost everyday.  You just uber-focus. It was difficult at work, where I have to multi-task alot.  BUT the side effects DO get better after that two week hump.

You still have to do the work, there are still unbelievable urges.  I found, though, on Welbutrin, if I DID cave I'd usually light a cig, take two drags, feel gross and put it out.  And I think after that happens for a couple weeks, you just don't bother anymore - you start to connect that 'gross' feeling with the cigarette, and the cravings become less and less.

But - you should definitely have at least a phone call with your doc to review the side effects you're having. 

0 Kudos
tina_15222

Wellbutrin did not work for myself or my husband.  He started Chantix 5 weeks ago and me 3 weeks ago, we are on days 4 and 3 respectively without cigs.  We have both been smokers over 20 years.  Good Luck.

0 Kudos
jthorstensen

I have a Panic Disorder and those meds scare me. I had a hard enough time coming off of Paxil and believe me I thought I was going to die. God only knows what they would do to my mind. I think the withdrawls of just quitting would be not as bad. what JeanineP says frightens me too, about seven years quit and then whammo! she started again. Can I deal with the stress of fighting urges for the rest of my life??

0 Kudos

Take it easy with wellbutrin it can cause seizure's.   Commit is much better and has the least side effects.   Hang in there we can do this.   Shirley

0 Kudos

The quit-smoking drug Chantix may lead to a small but increased risk of heart problems in people with cardiovascular disease, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Thursday. Be careful!
0 Kudos
SHELLY22

I have been taking welbutrin off and on over the years for depression. I always took the welbutrin sr but the last time that I had to go back on them my Dr gave me the xl instead of the sr I did get bad side effects from the xl's so I went back on the sr's and have been fine ever since.  So you might want to try the sr's instead I take 150mg twice a day.

0 Kudos
melissa131

Ya know what, this is going to sound...stupid, but they are the SR's I just went and looked at the bottle, I have been doing so much reading and research about Wellbutrin that I for some reason convinced myself that I was taking XL's. Honestly the one pill a day is making me feel great, I used to want to sleep all the time, and now I have more energy. I HAVE found that if I don't take my vitamins everyday I get kind of grouchy. Also eating well. Bupropion does seem to effect my blood sugar, which can be low. And I have read other people saying the same thing. 

As far as smoking goes, I do think they are also helping with that..as cigarettes smell horrible to me. And that is another subject, which I dont' have time to go into now...but life is very stressful for me, I don't have a car, and have a low paying job. So, at this time, I do feel like the Wellbutrin is helping me on the road to my quit. 

PS. the itching, I think is something in my house, so I am working on that today. Being saturday and all. 

0 Kudos