cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

magmar

Week or 2 of pain

I have tried quitting smoking before, and besides all of the anxiety, frustration and usual withdraw symptoms, i remember the terrible chest pain I get for a few weeks. I am 21 and an asthmatic, and really need to quit because it is really taking a toll on my lungs. So I decided today is the day. But now I am dreading the onset of the pain and tightness in my lungs. It hurts worse, and causes more shortness of breath than my first cigarette of the day. Any ideas why this happens or what to do about it? 

I was thinking it could be inflammation of my bronchioles, trying to get the past 5 years of buildup out of my lungs. Has anyone ever tried Mucinex for the congestion?

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks everyone!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
chinacat

I wonder if your anxiety isn't causing the chest pain and tightness more than the quitting smoking. Smoking aside, I have issues with anxiety and have experienced chest pains and tightness. It's difficult to relax when you're in the middle of a panic attack, but it's really what you gotta do. Stop, acknowledge, clear your mind, and let go.

Someone posted a blog about Mucinex for the congestion and it sounded positive. Never tried it myself.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
trance74

Hello.

Im a newbie here, and I am smoke free for 2 weeks and a day today.

I myself am going through the anxiety stage now of quitting smoking. I am now getting the slight tighness in my chest and had an anxiety attack earlier today. Its hard but after reading a lot and getting better knowledge of what to expect and what my body is going to go through, I basically did what chinacat had wrote. Stop, acknowledge,clear the mind, and breathe.

Its tough. I know the anxiety part is effecting me in weird ways and some times making me wonder whats going on with me. But I always remind myself, that its my body healing and riding itself of all the garbage smoking has done. Like many people have wrote and read many times on other sites, if it gets worse, go see your Doctor.

I am doing the quitting cold turkey. Just drinking water and juice, eating right, chewing gum and keeping my hands busy with a lighter to kind of imatate a cigarette.  So far its working but the physical withdrawals are getting a little hard. If they persist at the end of the week, then I will see my Doctor or go to the hospitol.

If you feel your at a point that you no longer can't control in any way, go see a Doctor.

Good Luck.

0 Kudos