cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nugget_salad

Using the patch - Quit on Tuesday 4/16

Hi everyone!

This is my second time attempting to quit cigarettes. I won't say that I will never slip up, because I know relapse is a part of recovery, but I will say that I am more motivated to quit now than I was the last time.

I am about to graduate with an Associate's Degree in Human Services with a Concentration in Substance Abuse, and I am currently participating in an internship in a 97-day residential treatment program for men with substance dependence issues. After completing a family map project in my family therapy class, I realized the impact my mother's side of the family had on me picking up smoking. My uncle and grandmother both passed away from lung cancer, and both my parents smoke. My mom has Gullain-Barre Syndrome (the cause of this is unknown, but it is incurable and chronic, just like addiction), and my dad has high blood pressure and has already had one heart attack. He is struggling with cataracts and has to get surgery soon. Other than the GBS my mom has been diagnosed with, all of my family's illnesses can be attributed to smoking. I refuse to let this addiction get the best of me. I refuse to lose credibility in my clients' eyes because of this disease. If I can't conquer this, I can't tell my clients that they can conquer their addictions.

I told my family therapy class tonight that because of the project we have just completed, I have decided to use the patch again and quit smoking, to which I received a strong round of applause. My instructor made me stand up in class, and I was embarassed about that, but mostly, it made me proud. Furthermore, I needed to announce my cessation in class so that my classmates will hold me accountable and keep me from relapsing.

My boyfriend of three years began smoking again about a year ago because he was around me when I was smoking, even though he has gone through throat surgery in the past. This makes me feel guilty and sad, and I am encouraging him to quit, but I know from experience that we will only quit when we are ready and motivated to quit.

Quitting smoking is a huge deal. We can do this. I need your support, and you all most certainly have mine.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hotmomma0210

I too am using the patch.  I'm on day 5.  It's been rough and I've also come down with a cold - which in turn has helped me NOT to smoke.  I can barely breathe as it is with this cold.  I'm 30 yrs old and was diagnosed with the beginning stages of Emphysema about 2 years ago.  This scared the crap out of me!  My grandmother died 10 years ago this Christmas Eve from Lung Cancer.  My mother has COPD and Emphysema and only 35% lung capacity and still smokes 2 packs a day.  My boyfriend met her for the first time about a month ago and begged me to stop smoking because of the toll it has taken on her.  So I prepared myself, talked to my oldest son about it, talked to my boss - who quit 2 years ago on the patch, and my best friend and I started on Monday.  She said she couldn't let me do it alone and we can keep each other in check.  I wish you the best of luck and think that what you are doing with your life is awesome!  Keep your head high and stay off the cigs!!!  

0 Kudos