cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ReallyReal

Triggers are weird

I was talking with my neighbor today over the chain link fence between us.  She was smoking a cigarette and my eyes were fixated on that cigarette, when she raised it to her mouth and lowered it to her side.  I don't even know what I was thinking as I couldn't stop staring at it.  It smelled good to me but the main thing was the visual.  Man, that was so strange and I am having a bit of a hard time getting it out of my head.  Need to distract myself for sure.  I need to get going early to today's church event so I can get that image out of my head.  Thanks for listening.  I will not fall back into the tobacco trap.

Labels (1)
4 Replies
MarilynH

Whew @ReallyReal! I remember a time or two in the early stages my quit of very similar situations that you're describing wow! You are doing fantastic with your precious quit journey YAY for each and every day WON! YAY for Freedom! You've got this quit firmly in your grasp believe it because we believe in you....

champsin97

I have had those moments.  Just have to put it out of your head.  Whatever it takes.

Barbscloud

@ReallyReal I've had other issues, but fortunately  I was never absorbed in someone else smoking.  I still enjoy the smell of a burning cigarette, but don't enjoy the stale cigarette smell on others. 

What you just experienced is a normal part of quitting anything that we're addicted too or even just something  we enjoy. You're doing great.  You faced a difficult situation and came out a shining star.  Glad you know how to distract  and find a better way to keep your journey on track.

Barbscloud_0-1700414360430.jpeg

Sharing is a way to ride out  those thoughts.  Enjoy your outing without smoking.

Barb

ReallyReal

Thank you so much @Barbscloud @champsin97 @MarilynH .  I ended up going early to the church event and helped set up.  And posting here shortly after my experience was very helpful.  I can see that if I hadn't distracted myself the image in my head of the neighbor's cigarette could have eaten me up.  Feeling very grateful for the tools I've learned to use from being on this site, and the support you all offer so generously.  This site and all of you here are awesome!!!!