cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

johnmo

TOMORROW IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE

I have been smoking for 10 years, since I was 17, and it's time to quit. So I've set tomorrow as my quit day. My first day as a non-smoker and the first day of the biggest turning point in my life.

I recently tried a couple times and I've learned a couple things about myself that are going to make this quit successful. The first is that I have to keep reminding myself that I am a drug addict and the only way to not be one is to stop using the drug completely and forever. There is no going back. I can't smoke just a little bit. I can't smoke just when I'm drinking. I can't have one a day. I AM AN ADDICT. One is too many and a thousand are not enough.

The second is that the withdrawal is nothing. There is nothing to it. It's easy to say no to it. There is no pain and no problems, it's just a fleeting moment.

The third is that deep in my conscious mind I feel like I really am giving up something, and I don't know how to get over this, maybe some of you can help. After a day or two, I get that WHY CAN'T I SMOKE? I'm a free person, I LIKE SMOKING. I guess this is just the nicotine addiction talking, but it is really evil in this regard. How did you all deal with this?

I believe this is the one and only hurdle that has prevented me from quitting completely in the past, and it's the one thing that if I get it solved will help me to stay quit this time.

ANyone?

0 Kudos
7 Replies

http://quitsmokingonline.com/

http://digg.com/news/lifestyle/Allen_Carr_s_Easy_Way_To_Stop_Smoking_Download_free_PDF

Congratulatios on your decision to quit tomorrow! The links above have helped so many people here so I thought I'd provide them in case you haven't seen them yet.

When you are ready come on over to the blogs and introduce yourself there. That's where we all hang out!  See you soon. Rmember to drink plenty of water and juice during the beginning days of your quit. Best wishes!

0 Kudos
maidnlufkin

i really don think i can quit because i have really tried

0 Kudos
standingwolf

I have the same problem it is about 95% mind and less physical. I know this because even on the patches the drive to just smoke is over whelming.

0 Kudos
carolpie51

It's my day too.  I like your attitude and have been pumping myself up for this Feb. 7th ,with tools and mindset changes at the ready.  Feb. 7th, non smokers will rock this world.  Rather than feel a sense of loss perhaps we should focus on what we will gain.  Quitting has a negative connotation...but walking away from something that is bad for you isn't quitting... it's opening a whole new relationship, and new beginning,with yourself and with the world.   Let's do this, and a year from now we shall celebrate, but first we need to get through the first 3 days, and we will.  So glad to have found this site.  Take care.

0 Kudos
deum

i was vey sick these past few days and  did not smoke the past two that is how sick i was but here is the hard part i want one already and i am not better yet heo[

0 Kudos

Success does not and cannot depend on willpower! It depends on PERSPECTIVE!!! Go to the BLOGS where we all hang out and learn from the longtermers how to change your perspective, share with the Newbies your Daily struggles and VICTORIES, get the Info you need to Become an EX for LIFE!!!!

Nothing will ever be attempted, if all possible objections must first
be  overcome.         Samuel Johnson  (1709-1784) English Author

My name is Thomas and I quit 324 days ago after smoking over 20 years! If I can do it then you CAN too!!!!!

0 Kudos
soulboxing

That urge to smoke is just trying to bargain with you. One more is always going to seem like no bg deal, beause you have your whole life to quit.  It's just one more day, one more smoke, one "last time".  But you have to remember that this is just the addiction talking.  This is serious business, and you have to turn away from that little voice in your head.

After 2 years of not smoking, a friend and I were going through some stressful stuff and started meeting up over drinks to talk.  One thing led to another, and we both rationalized that we could socially smoke here an there.  Well, here and there turned into a lot more, and eventually I was smoking like a freight train again.  And 3 attempts at quitting later, I've learned a couple of things:

1)  Yep, I can't smoke just a little.  It's all or nothing with me; that's just the kind of addict I am.  But, when my cravings are coming on hard core, I tell myself that I'm just delaying a cigarette for 15 minutes.  After 15 minuts, I tell myself that I'm just delaying for the hour.  I keep up that mental game until I forget about it.  I can't explain it - I think it just helps me mitigate the panic.

2)  Man, it is now or never.  I always used to say, "I'll quit when I turn 21", then it was 25, 28, 29, 30...Now I am 33, and I have been smoking for 19 years.  I do NOT want to say that I've been doing this ugly thing for 20.

3)  This only works for me when I stop talking in terms of denying myself, and I start talking in terms of congratulating myself.  for example, I revel in the joy of how my hair and clothes smell.  I talk about how I am proud that working out is getting easier.  I love how I can actually be warm in my car now that I don't have to crack the window to smoke.  I love that I'm not skulking around to smoke on the porch or in a parking lot.  Keep thinking positive - pride feels really good.

Congrats to you for knowing it's time to quit smoking - use everything you learned from quitting the drigs and build on it.  Talk about it.  Be proud.  Get support - you can do it!!! 

0 Kudos