cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lryan1

Support

I’ve quit smoking before. It’s harder now, but my health is now changing and I have to take action 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
maryfreecig

I see that you are undecided. Almost no one wants to quit--having health problems often makes people feel like they should quit, but it often isn't enough. You might find adding in one on one support--such as joining online discussions here at Ex that are held with a counselor. 

The Ex community is here for you even though you are undecided. Keep reading the blogs here, keep looking for stuff that makes sense to you.

There are numerous choices in support and aid for your quit, including making a plan. But first it seems like you need to get comfortable with the idea of quitting.

Take some time to understand that as smokers we all were addicted to nicotine. We break the addiction by deciding to quit, making a plan, gathering resources.

Welcome to Ex. I hope to hear more from you.

0 Kudos
biscuit9

Can you step outside yourself for a moment and be your best friend or someone who loves and cares about you.  What would you say to this person?  What advice would you give them?  Take that advice.  

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Lryan1 Welcome to the Ex.   This takes work and commitment, but you can do with preparation, education and support.

You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking. This comes into play when you're having cravings in the morning. What can you do instead of smoking? Change up your routine. Go for walk, read material on the Ex, if you drink coffee, for example, drink it in a different place, etc. Be creative.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Consider taking the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

After you do some reading, pick a quit date and join us on your journey to becoming an Ex.

Barb

0 Kudos