cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Struggling Early

My first 24 hours are really hard 😓 I have been a smoker for almost 14 years now and I have been getting panicky throughout the day/very irritable.

Labels (3)
5 Replies
biscuit9

Use your tools of distraction, you will rely on them for a time.  Hard candy, bite a lemon, gum, juices, blow through a straw, licorice, etc.  I wrote alot in the beginning, because of all the emotions I felt.  Keep a journal.  I watched nasty smoking videos on whyquit.com (I didn't find this site until 2 weeks into my quit). Alot of people come here and write out their thoughts/feelings.  That panicky feeling can be because you are not feeding the nicotine monster.  Since you always answered the call before, the monster likes to be fed, so you have this feeling of emptiness.  I took fancy bubble baths, wrote encouraging phrases over and over, worked on a crochet project to keep the hands/mind busy.  I also took alot of walks to get my mind off nicotine.  I did alot of things in the beginning weeks, to distract me from what my body really wanted....nicotine.  You have to work this quit.  I was emotionally raw for a long time.  I couldn't hide behind the smoke any longer.  I smoked through all the emotions and quitting meant I had to deal with my reality and my feelings.  TRY to stay in your happy place and read and learn everything you can about this addiction.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@kristinblaske29 What you're feeling is normal, and you will get through this! Here are some articles on the site that might be helpful:

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/stay-quit/the-day-you-quit/

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/stay-quit/build-new-habit-loop/

Please keep us posted!

- Danielle, EX team

EX Community Admin Team
Barbscloud

@kristinblaske29 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your first day won.

If you haven't done so already, it's not too late to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and put a plan in place to be prepared for the various stages of this journey.   Identifying tools, how to work through cravings and creating new associations to replace smoking.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Replace that dopamine lost when quitting.  One way is by exercising.  Walking is a great way to refocus your thoughts and get that added boost of dopamine.

After many attempts over 50 years of smoking, I found the Ex and learned how to quit for the first time.  There is great support here that is key to a successful quit.  Reach out anytime your want to share or need some support.

Some common side effects when quitting.  What you're experiencing is normal and it will pass.

Withdrawal symptoms.png

Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at time.

Stay busy and stay close.   

Barb

JACKIE1-25-15

I understand how you feel.  I made up my mind if I can make it the first 24 hours then I would make it.  Turn the struggle into a challenge it will make it easier.  Turn Struggles to Challenges 

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. What I see is that after you quit and found yourself struggling you took the time to look for help. Stick with that part of you...the drive to find a way. You can do this one step at a time. Ex is here to offer encouragement and support as you make your way.

Screenshot_20221025-074827.jpgpastedImage_3.png

0 Kudos