cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dar17

Still chewing

So after 1277 days without a smoke Tell me how to quit chewing the gum!

18 Replies

Nothing to add - you have the best advice possible! Just want to say, HEY! We're very glad you're here! Do the reading, Please!

0 Kudos
Lady86

I found cranberry juice really flushes out the nicotine and it's great for you so win win. Also deep breathes help. You can do this. Stay close to this site  

JACKIE1-25-15

Wean off by chewing regular gum to replace it.  You have to allow the nicotine to get out of your system. 

0 Kudos
Happier2

Another good help for quitting is : Use it only in one place that is a bit inconvenient. Put the gum in your mail box - you have to go there to get it. And don't use it for the full time - using it like no more than 5 min (and time it). Your mind will start finding reasons to say no, not now. Like Dale was saying about wait longer, now don't make it convenient at all. Go get a large glass of water first, don't just sip on it, drink as much of it as you can.

That nicotine gum is although a synthetic (not a tobacco) nicotine, the brain believes it to be real. It's driving up the dopamine (feel good hormone) and makes you come back again and again. Find something else to do to drive up the dopamine hormone. Try using those breath strips that dissolve on your tongue.

It's all about patterns. Nicotine is a terrible liar. It imitates common sense and your voice. So to you it sounds like your voice telling you it's OK and it makes sense by saying "at least I'm not smoking".

New acronym for you: NONE = not one nicotine ever. nicotine is a liar, it can't ever be OK, and it is never going to make you feel good or remove stress. It will hype you up, make you believe you are in control and then let you down and make you start over.

gregp136

Are you still chewing?  

I use Mentos gum to quit smoking 40+ days ago, dar17‌. I quit cold turkey.  Friday I decided it was time to get over the gum.  My jaws were getting tired, LOL.  And I quit that cold turkey.  In my 3rd gum free day.  But there was no Nicotine involved.  

You are addicted to nicotine.  There are those who would say, depending on the depth of the addiction, that you cannot slowly ween off.  An alcoholic cannot ween off alcohol.

But, I am not a doctor, nor any sort of expert.  Just keep trying!

Greg

0 Kudos
pongaselo

Having a smoke, a stick of gum, these are little rewards. Like giving a dog a milk bone for doing a trick or obeying a command. I'm not sure that you are as addicted to the nicotine as you are the reward. Reward behaviors are complex. Rewarding yourself is like having a little bit of christmas all for yourself, a selfish indulgence. Smoking is a selfish indulgence. The gum is you continuing to pursue this cycle of reward behaviors. Until the these behaviors are eliminated, the addictive condition persists. People give nicotine credit for a lot of things that it just doesn't do. Nicotine is an anchor in this cycle and to get out of this type of behavior, substitutes will have to be removed, not replaced. You must finally attack the triggers everyone talks about. You have taught yourself that you will be rewarded when certain things happen. It sounds a little crazy but think about it. Finish a meal, you ate all your food, good dog, here's a treat. Called your friend, good for you, they were waiting, here's your treat. The analogies are very rough around the edges and using that as an argument against the logic is a tool to keep doing what you are fighting to give up.  Ultimately it will be up to you. If all you need is attention, here it is. Half an hour of a stranger's day figuring out a way to help you sort this out.  Fact is I do this for myself. It reminds me how to stay off the smokes and ignore those behaviors that pop up now and again. So I am still selfish, just not as harmful as I used to be. Best

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

When I read the title I thought you meant chewing tobacco but you apparently are talking about Nicorette or a similar product. 

Perhaps you want to update the title?

Mark

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

The title is fine.  🙂

Rick_M

Cut your nic gum in halves and use  as you have been for one week or so, then cut in quarters and go a week or so and then alternate nic gum with regular gum for a few weeks till you only use the regular gun.. Work this till you feel ready to just chew regular gum. Congrats to you  for quitting smoking. Bet you feel better......I sure do