cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

newcomer53167

Still Struggling

I am still struggling with smoking. I smoke every day. I have tried to cut back and have done so smoking about five cigarettes a day. my quit date is quickly approaching.  I look forward to a life without cigarettes yet I continue to smoke even against my own will. 

Labels (1)
4 Replies
Barbscloud

@newcomer53167 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit. That's the addiction talking.    It's not easy and it takes willingness and work to be successful. Cutting back doesn't work for everyone.  In addition to aids, the Ex, etc.  I cut down for week but I was on a very strict schedule for that week reducing the number of cigarettes each day until my quit date.  It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it right.  When I found the Ex I learned how to quit and how invaluable support from fellow quitters can be.

Have you considered using a quit aid? There is nicotine replacement, but also medications that you use before you quit.  I used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers.

You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking. This comes into play when you're having cravings in the morning for example. What can you do instead of smoking? Change up your routine. Go for walk, read material on the Ex, if you drink coffee, for example, drink it in a different place, etc. Be creative.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Consider taking the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

champsin97

You've come to the right place.  Get all the information you can.  Make a detailed quit plan and stick to it.  It will be a struggle for sure.  You have to take it one day at a time.  Sometimes one hour at a time in the begining.  Good news is you have the support of everyone here.  Reack out when you need help.  Stay close and stay strong.

biscuit9

"yet I continue to smoke even against my own will".  That describes this addiction.  The life you are dreaming about as a nonsmoker, is attainable.  You might have to get out of your comfort zone to attain that good life, but it is waiting for you.  I am quit just over a year now, and my life is better without that cancer stick.  You can do this, you just have to be mentally prepared and WILLING.  Read and learn how we get addicted, so you will have a better understanding of how nicotine fools us.  Lots of videos on whyquit.com, as well.

maryfreecig

If you have cut back to five a day, IMO you've found that boundry line of your addiction to nicotine. Cutting back has its advantages for some, but in the end, smoking too little (meaning getting too little of the nicotine you are used too) can lead to wanting more. There is no perfect way to quit. Trust your decision, your actions so far--you cut back, you set a date, you became a member at Ex... Wow that's faith in action!!! That you kinda can't smoke less now is to be expected. It isn't your quit date and smoking less doesn't lead to ending an addiction. But you have set your date, time to concentrate on what you will do if you get an urge (it's natural to get an urge to smoke at first)--make a list if you haven't already about specific things you will do. Early on is the hardest, then it gets easier. And easier. And easier. Then one day you'll find yourself thanking your lucky stars. 

Yes you can, one day at a time (not a week at a time, month or year).

Welcome to Ex. Thanks for sharing your concern. 

You have everything you need to quit right inside youYou have everything you need to quit right inside you20230706_181154.jpg