cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gmcculloch

Staying quit long term

1. I am new to this website so not yet sure how to navigate. I stopped smoking on New Years Eve and am now on day 10. I had quit before for 10 years and went back 7 years ago. Since then I have stopped and started again multiple times. So, here is my question. Where can I find help to stay off long term? I seem to have strong urges to go back to smoking around 1 month and 3 months. 2 years ago I made it 9 months and went back while at a social event. I want to stay off for good this time.
Tags (1)
21 Replies
Bree19

Adding HELP in your title should get a fast response depending on time zones.

WELCOME!!

Lol!!!! Okey dokey!

| Thank you! I will. Still smoking...

Sent from AT&T Mail on Android

Date:Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 4:52 AM

Subject:Re: - Re: Staying quit long term

|

#yiv6773038209 * #yiv6773038209 a #yiv6773038209 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv6773038209 #yiv6773038209 h1, #yiv6773038209 h2, #yiv6773038209 h3, #yiv6773038209 h4, #yiv6773038209 h5, #yiv6773038209 h6, #yiv6773038209 p, #yiv6773038209 hr {}#yiv6773038209 .yiv6773038209button td {}

|

BecomeAnEX

|

Re: Staying quit long term

reply from Bree19 in Conversations - View the full discussion

Adding HELP in your title should get a fast response depending on time zones.

WELCOME!!

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on BecomeAnEX

Start a new discussion in Conversations by email or at BecomeAnEX

Following Re: Staying quit long term in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by BecomeAnEX because you are a registered user or you were invited to join by a current user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from BecomeAnEX, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

elvan

Welcome to EX...I agree wholeheartedly with Bree19‌, there is almost always someone on the site and we have all been new, we have all had a day one and we have learned that there are no shortcuts and that they only way out is through.  We are here to help you in any way that we can.  I suggest reading a couple of blogs...one by JonesCarpeDiem‌ /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months and another by YoungAtHeart‌ https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/17060-for-our-new-years-quitters-and-community-members-too  There are MANY, MANY more but I don't want to take up your entire day.  Remember to stay close to the site, I suggest that you take the Daily Pledge every day and that you ride the Freedom Train every day as well...both will connect you to the people on the site and both can be found at the top of the page under Celebrations and Events.  The more education you have about nicotine addiction, the better it will be for you, read everything you can on this addiction, read blogs every day, comment when you can, pay attention to what is working for other people.  There is always going to be someone here who is exactly where you are or who has just gone past where you are or who is headed there.  This is a great community filled with love and support and it is VERY much LIVE.

Again, welcome,

Ellen

maryfreecig

If you quit the addiction, you'll find hope for the long term one day at a time. If you only quit cigarettes, you may find yourself going back again and again because memory of why smoking is a trap really does fade. Recovering from the addiction means, in my opinion, that you learn all you can about it and that you face your addiction head on. 

Intense support is so important so please keep coming back, participate and read.

the secret to a long-term quit is realizing and accepting that this is not a habit.  it is an addiction/dependence on nicotine.  a cigarette is simply a way to ingest it.  smoking is like potato chips to us.  we can never stop at just one.  visit https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters?sr=search&searchId=e3cc494c-a6c6-4a84-b781...‌ and do some reading.  A lot of knowledge is shared in there

jooch

Congratulations on your QUIT!  I too was nicotine free for 10 years and all it took was one puff, one night at a bar.  BOOM, baffling, cunning and powerful my addiction went full blown for years.  Today thank the Lord, I'm free from coughing and feeling like my chest is hurting.  I can do cardio and it feels wonderful.  What helped me the most was staying on this site daily the first year.  Reading tons of horrifying article and looking at pictures about smoking. Since this addiction is mental I needed facts and visuals to sink into my mind.  It's helped that is for sure.  Now I'm scared to smoke.  

Keep up the good work.

Bonnie

Thank you for saying that this ADDICTiON is way more than physical..IT IS MENTAL (like Joel's "brain" article on whyquit.com, which I just read a few days ago)....my last quit was 10 months long and I blew it...and smoked for 16 months...now 3 weeks quit...N.O.P.E....smoking only added to the emotional pain, did NOT help it...next time something kicks me in the gut, I'll come here and blog about it...and wake up the next morning still a NONSMOKER...

MichelleDiane

Great Bonnie.  We are all here for you and are happy to walk with you on your journey.

Michelle

elvan

Welcome to EX, you have gotten some GREAT advice.  I am sure that if you take it and you think about the times when you faltered in your quits...you are going to find that there is something that ties them together.  Congratulations on your 12 days of freedom.  Remember that smoking never does anything FOR you, only TO you.  Put a little dab of Vicks under your nose if you are going to be around smokers...do NOT drink alcohol, it is too early in your quit.  Your best bet would be to skip the gathering all together.

Ellen