cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

racheldianne

Stayin' Quit?

I have been trolling around this website and these boards for weeks. I set a date, and then set it back, and then postponed again.

I finally got really sick on Friday (the 26th). By Saturday, I tried to smoke a cigarette. It was horrible. I haven't had one since. I'm starting to feel a bit better though (God bless antibiotics), and I want to make sure I don't start smoking again. I've been out of my routine life for several days now, and soon, probably tomorrow, I'm going to have to go back to my routine. Any thoughts on staying away once I go back to work?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cathi4

I have had this impression as well that being sick and not smoking is a quit. Please protect your quit by understanding that your addiction will patiently wait for you to resume your everyday activities to creep up on you! You must strenghten your resolve, prepare yourself with ammo against the cravings that will come. Also check out www.whyquit.com for info that helps sustain your quit. Remember we are always here to give support for that quit or lift you up when you need it. You do not mention NRT's so I assume you have quit cold turkey? A plan is a necessary thing to stiffen our resolve when push comes to shove!

Congrats on your quit and I am glad you are feeling better! This is only the beginning of the new healthy you!

0 Kudos
racheldianne

I haven't wanted to smoke enough to use any NRT. I have nicorette at the house, but I've honestly been so sick I haven't even wanted that. So, here's the issue. I'm going back to work tomorrow. Do I take nicorette with me? Do I let nicotine back into my system when I've been without for four days now?

0 Kudos