cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kissthis812

Sorry if this is disgusting

Hi, could someone please give me some insight as to why these things are happening and how long it will last? I am about 2 1/2 months quit and lately I am not just coughing up phelm, but chunks of nasty. Is this normal? Is this my lungs finally cleaning or should I be worried? I also noticed my skin seems to be purging and I am waking up with bumps and clogged pores everyday. My skin seems brighter but it is a constant battle. Thank you

~Pat
Labels (2)
10 Replies
Barbscloud

@kissthis812 It's not disgusting!   Honestly I hear about the phlegm all the time and that is certainly normal.  I never heard anyone describe  "chunks of nasty"  before.  What does it look like?  Maybe you should consult with your doctor to ease your mind if nothing else,   

Your skin appearing brighter is definitely a benefit of quitting.  Your blood vessels are no longer restricted and your circulation is improving,

This is only thing I could fine about skin reactions to quitting. "While uncommon, acne flare-ups are also a possible side effect of quitting. Essentially, the body goes into stress mode when adjusting to a world without cigarettes. This can trigger inflammation, which can worsen or trigger acne breakouts. Any major change to the body, like quitting smoking, can throw our hormones off balance and cause increased oil production within the skin".'

Let me know,.

Barb

Maki

I believe that same article mentions @kissthis812  that it should last about four weeks ends kinda after the withdrawal period so that’s good news . 
As far as chunks I also kinda looked around finding nothing at this point but I would think is quit related but not a doctor here so for sure I’d check on that , clearing out tar maybe a possibility .You haven’t been sick ?  What Color is it . From my own experience , my lungs , cough was much better around 2 1/2 months quit as well as coughing up gunk if that’s the same as chunk . In my reading it says it can last longer than that . When in doubt always always talk to the dr .They are your best source of information and diagnosis . 
Congrats  on you 2 1/2 month  quit @kissthis812 

F596941C-9308-41AB-BF98-C94DA656ACEB.gif

kissthis812

@Barbscloud& @Maki  Thank you for your responses! The stuff coming out is mostly brownish, its just not loose phelm. I am also blowing this stuff out my nose too. I was considering taking an expectorant like mucinex to maybe help it along. If it doesnt stop or at least slow down I will reach out to my doctor. I dont feel sick just constantly clearing my throat and coughing up this stuff. And, oddly, it just started a few weeks ago, along with the acne bumps and clogged pores. Again, thank you both!

~Pat
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@kissthis812 I won't attempt a diagnosis.  Brown phlegm can  be normal when quitting, but it can also be the sign of an infection.  We can't assume every symptom is the result of quitting.  There have been other new quitters here that needed to see a doctor for treatment.  

Keep me posted.

Barb

Tomuch101

I have quit for 41 days and I'm experiencing the same thing with the chunks. It's normal, when I tried to quit in my younger days it would start a few days after i quit but now it takes a lot longer.

dryflyfisher2

I’m 10 days in and having the same problem pretty much

Kurt
McMoney

Congrats on 10 days of success @dryflyfisher2!

I am not a doctor.  And like @Barbscloud said above, we can't assume every symptom is a result of quitting smoking... 

But if you feel okay otherwise, my suggestion would be to drink more water. Take your body weight, divide it by 2, and try to drink that many ounces of water a day. They say to do that every day.. but anyway, more fluids, I say!  Keep us posted! And be glad that gunk is getting OUT of your body! Your lungs are healing! That is AWESOME!  Keep going. 

- Meriah
dryflyfisher2

It’s like I am so aggravated all the time right now.I don’t understand.this is one of the hardest things I’ve attempted 

Kurt
McMoney

I think many people would agree it’s one of the hardest things a person can do but IT IS DOABLE. and it is worth it.  The irritability can last for weeks.  The nicotine receptors in your brain are going to scream at you for a couple three days.  Then it will just be a yell.  And eventually a whisper.  You tune all of that out and power through.  Early in your quit you have to learn how to distract yourself and refocus.  Later on you’ll relearn how to cope with triggers, and life in general without smoking.  Read read read everything you can find on this site as there are far better explanations and resources than what I am providing right now. 
just know you CAN do this and while it is hard right now it absolutely does get easier.   Hold on. It’s worth it.  You are worth it.   
We are all rooting for you! 

- Meriah
0 Kudos