cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Smoking while driving

man, this is almost an unconscience thing for me. The seperation method is working for all other activities, but I am still having trouble with this one. Any one have and suggestions that aren't listed on the site?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
dian

Justin, This is what I do and it helps me, I live in the county so it takes me forever to drive to town etc. I cut a white straw roughly the size of a cigarette, taped the end and I smoke that thing, really, inhale and exhale just like a smoke. It tricks my body until I can get somewhere where I can't smoke.
0 Kudos
liz19

Justin - I tried turning up the loudest hardest music I could get my hands on, and focused on the singing, or screaming, and driving. It worked for me. Sorta hard to scream, drive and smoke at the same time, AND it let out my aggression. I'm not normally in to hard heavy music, but hey, whatever works. You can do this!
0 Kudos
cindy25

Beef jerky.... gnaw on it....really tear it up!
0 Kudos
cindy25

Oh, I ate an apple in the car today....really helped. I will do that again tomorrow.
0 Kudos
amye78

In the car was a big one for me too. So, I kept "props" in the car so I wouldnt freak out and end up stopping at the store. I had a ziploc bag of pretzel sticks, tic tacs, gum, and lollipops. It worked for me driving to and from work everyday. After the first week (I am on week 2 now (9 days YEA), it doesnt bother me at all to be in my car. The other thing I did was clean my car out, febreeze the bejeesus out of it to get rid of the smell, had my air filter changed, anything that made it smell that way and remind me. Hope that helps!
0 Kudos
jess5

Lollipops really help me in the car, nicotine gum too.
0 Kudos
hollie-mae

Driving is a huge trigger for me as well... here is what I have been doing. I will wait and wait and wait to light up until I am almost to my destination. As soon as you get to where your going put your smoke out (no matter how much is left). Pretty soon(if you can delay lighting up for long enough) the craving will just pass. Also when I get the urge to smoke while I am driving, I turn the radio up and I sing at the top of my lungs... I may look like an idiot to other passing motorist but hey at least I'm not smoking!!
0 Kudos