cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Thesegoto11

Smokenders?

Just out of curiosity, recently researched which organizations still conduct smoking-cessation clinics.  Ran across Smokenders, a company I remember from the days when I first quit.  I love success stories, and Inc magazine ran a terrific profile on the company--who started it and why, it's ups and downs, and how it emerged from bankruptcy in 1981 to become a profitable Quit Smoking franchise.  

They currently offer a seven-week online course where you get to smoke for the first five weeks while you learn how to quit.  Believe it costs $300, comes with a money-back guarantee, and touts a high success rate (supposedly verified by a John Hopkins University study).

Does anyone here have an opinion on Smokenders?  Is it a viable program or just another way to separate an addict from his/her money?

11 Replies

As it’s been said, we are all different and what works for one person, may not for another. As long as a program is not a scam, and someone wants to use it to help them quit I say why not. Whatever we choose to use to help us quit, one thing is for sure: you have to commit and really really want it. Six years ago, I drove myself to a detox and spent seven days there. I was an alcoholic. When I was there, I did everything they suggested and then some. I read everything given to me and even after I left the facility, I continued to read and attend AA meetings. Because I wanted desperately to get better, I did what it took. I’ve heard from others that also went to the same program. Some relapsed and didn’t make it. Same program, different outcome. My point is, do whatever it is but you have to want it and work really really hard to get it. I think we are worth it, don’t you?

dudley87

I use the Montana quit line. It’s a free coach  over the phone. It’s been helpful. They also provided me with free gum