cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ash2lar

Slipping off the quit

I'm struggling right now. I quit cigarettes in 2016, almost 5 years. But for the last couple of months, due to boredom, not socializing, stress, pain- my spouse who still smokes cigars likes to have a glass of wine before dinner.

I have to admit, I've taken a puff or 2 off his cigar. I realize I'm battling 2 demons right now, since I know the wine is my biggest trigger to smoke. We have been isolated since spouse is immune compromised.

I am schedule for a total hip surgery next month. I have to find a way to ignore him and do something else instead of drink wine.

Some tactics to ignore a spouse that smokes would be greatly appreciated right now.

17 Replies
indingrl

Thanks for sharing and when a crave hits just bite into a lemon peel and all - it busts the crave and come and blog - just sharing

ash2lar

So I've not had one puff in over 48 hours. Back in the saddle again.. No withdrawal symptoms. Achy arm from my COVID vaccine. Tummy feels better too since I had no alcohol either. Have a PFT test this afternoon and a visit with my pulmonologist. Just may be the incentive I need to really stay quit. 

Other issues include- both my spouse and I have hip issues, I'm supposed to have a total hip done 4/5, but having second thoughts. But my spouse REALLY needs the surgery. SO- I guess that may be his incentive to quit as well, since he smokes 4-5 Black & Mild cigars every day..Plus he wants to move back to Colorado. Doubt if he could drive the 1800 miles, truthfully, with his bum hip.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

ash2lar It will be helpful if you could encourage hubby to read Allen Carr's book, "The Easy Way..."  Made a world of difference to me when I understood how nicotine affects your body and thinking!

Best of luck to you both.  Stay smober!!!

0 Kudos
ash2lar

Allan Carr's book is what really helped me in the beginning for sure. I'm doing well, I know what I need to do to stay on track. I realize now that he has been trying to sabotage my quit because he likes the company. I'm done. I'll read my books or look at cat videos instead.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Congrats on beginning your journey.   My pulmonologist was very instrumental in my quit.  He's the one that recommended the aids I used and scheduled me to see him every 3 months to be supportive.   Hope your test goes well.

Barb

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I think a lot of times our "smoking buddies" are bereft when we leave them.  Good for you for realizing what is going on and making a good plan to deal with it.  Your absence may just be the encouragement he needs to quit, too.  Hope so!

I had a boss who used to stop over after work in the summer to sit on my front porch to rock, drink iced tea and smoke (I kept them here for her - she didn't ever smoke at home around her kids).  When I quit, the visits stopped.  Interesting, no?

ash2lar

Wow- I guess she wasn't much of a friend.. I'm hoping I can convince him to stop. He needs a hip replacement as well and I've told him they won't do it unless he's quit. He was not happy to hear that. I'm married to a very stubborn Scorpio.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

He is going to have to come to the willingness himself.  DO try to get him to read the book.  Once he truly understands that all he thinks smoking does for him is a lie, it may encourage him to make the decision to stop.  It certainly did help me to accept that.

0 Kudos