cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

wordwitch

Rough first day without NRT

Hello, this is my 29th day smoke-free. I was a smoker for 23 years - most of my teens, all of my adult life. But when I decided to quit this time around, a pack would usually last me 2 days. So I started out on the Step 2 14 mg nicotine patches. I thought I must have just been really ready to quit and in the right headspace for it, because this has been the easiest time quitting I've ever had - and I had actually tried with the patches several times before. I was feeling really great and confident about it all, and the transition to the 7mg (step 3) patches went fine. I didn't realize I was actually supposed to stay on the Step 2 patches for 6 weeks. I only did them for 2. But since it didn't cause any problems, I didn't worry about it.

So after 2 weeks on the step 3 7mg patches, today was supposed to be my first day without them. I honestly didn't even think much of it since I've been doing great this whole time. And I was mostly fine for the whole first part of the day. I did have a dizzy spell in the grocery store this morning, but I can get those randomly - so no big deal. 

But then a little after noon, out of nowhere - it was like someone flipped a switch in my brain. I suddenly felt like bursting into tears for no reason and have felt that way ever since. It's like someone zapped all the serotonin out of my body. I have been more irritable and on edge than I have been this entire time quitting.

I didn't think there was enough nicotine left in my system really for dropping the patches to be this big of a deal. I figure it all has to be mental??? Just wondering if anyone else experienced this or knows another explanation. I'm hanging on strong, but feeling very frustrated and down.

Labels (1)
7 Replies
maryfreecig

When I quit at the age of 54, I'd already quit a dependency earlier in my life at the age of 27 through the help of AA. I guess by going to meetings so religiously I took in and honored the idea of a quit being a true change of personhood--getting sober. So with the gift of that framework in my life I knew that quitting smoking wasn't all about a transaction--I had to prepare to change, to stay quit no matter what while I was doing the grunt work of changing. For sure ending an addiction has certain effects early on that are hard to ignore, that's why I strongly recommend that as you step down from nicotine (via patches) that you spend time here at Ex and get to know the community, learn and read about the addiction, learn about ways that you can smober up. Ten plus years later, I am free from the addiction, but everyday I honor the idea of smobriety, never letting my guard down. This community can be an important part of smobering up.

Just my opinion of course. Take what if any you need, leave the rest. One step at a time you can leave your addiction behind you.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congratulations on being 29 days smoke free! Its common that your emotions may feel all over the place as you are getting off of nicotine. Hang in there and take it one day at a time. If things get worse, please speak with your doctor.

Quiana, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
champsin97

Congrats on 30 days smoke free.  Just take it one day at a time.  Those emotions will subside over time.

biscuit9

@wordwitch   Congratulations on 30 days nic free!  That is truly an accomplishment.  Day 30 I was just maintaining and going through the motions of NOT smoking.  I wasn't thrilled about much, but I was NOT smoking.  Tears came easily for a long time, and I am over 500 days quit now.  You are transitioning from a smoker to a non-smoker and that takes some time, mentally.  It is an adjustment and you ARE doing it and your body is healing from all the years of self-harm.  Make sure to celebrate this WIN, cos you win when you don't smoke.  I never used an nrt but I am sure someone can help you with that part.  Have you read Allen Carr's book, Easyway to Quit Smoking?

McMoney

How are you doing now @wordwitch ? 

- Meriah
0 Kudos
wordwitch

I really appreciate everyone chiming in with the support and advice. I am hanging in there. I have still felt really emotional and sensitive. But just doing the best I can, taking it one minute at a time. 

McMoney

Living without the addiction will get easier.  That’s a guarantee. I’m getting close to 6 months smoke free.  I smoked for 27 years. I was emotional for weeks after quitting.  That will pass.   Just hang in there.  Keep going through the motions.  It gets WAY better.   I don’t even think about smoking now. I only come to this site to pledge and see if I can offer a few words to encourage someone who might need it.  
You smoked for 23 years ; more than two decades.   Give TIME to your quit. No smoking no matter what. One day at a time, one minute, one hour at a time.   Get through it any way you can right now.  It’s worth feeling crappy for a little while to be able to break away from the ball and chain of addiction.  YOU are worth it.   Celebrate your success so far!! You are doing awesome! 

McMoney_0-1706645334518.jpegMcMoney_0-1704317744351.png

- Meriah