cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

catlove15

Relapsed after a week

I went back home for the holidays and didn’t vape for the week but I came back to my apartment today and picked up the vape I had. I feel really shameful. I don’t really know who to turn to or talk to about quitting, so I came here. I’ve been vaping on and off for a year and a half now, I’ve quit a few times, not even thinking that I was quitting, but this time I really want to try. I’m only 20, I feel like I shouldn’t be addicted to nicotine like this. I know so many kids my age are but I don’t want to be like that. I feel so shameful trying to tell my friends I’m quitting, none of them vape and they don’t understand that it’s an addiction, they just think it’s easy to stop. I have so much shame and I’m disappointed I started back up again. I don’t know what to do. 

6 Replies
Barbscloud

@catlove15   Glad you created a second post.  You're not a failure and there's nothing to be ashamed about.    The only way you can fail is by not trying.  Most quitter have many attempts before they get it right.    I admire you for realizing so young that you want to quit.  

There are many things you can do to be successful. First of all, I would recommend getting rid of all the vaping paraphernalia.  If you didn't have it when you got home, you couldn't have vaped.

No matter the source, nicotine is an addictive chemical so yes it can be hard to quit. The same principles to quit smoking will apply to your quit. It's important to educate yourself about nicotine and have a quit plan. Knowledge and preparation have been made quitting possible for many of us. I never did neither in the past and I was never successful. I was planning my quit this time and found the Ex a week before my quit date. I finally learned how to quit and how important support from other quitters can be. Read lots of material on the site. This link is a great place to start.

Quitting Guides

Believe in yourself that you can do it. Approaching your quit one day at a time helps to alleviate much of the anxiety we experience when we think about quitting.  We're here to support you so reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience, and to support other quitters.

Don't give up on your goal.  Take the time to learn how to do this (it took me 50 years).  Pick a new quit date and do the work as you prepare for your quit.  You're not obligated to tell anyone your quitting.  Some quitters tell everyone and others tell no one.  We're here for that.

Stay busy and stay close.  Happy to see you on the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time.

Barb

0 Kudos
ReallyReal

@catlove15 Barb has given you some good advice.  I will just say, please do your best to work through and rise above your feelings of shame.  In my opinion, shame has never done anyone any good and only, in my case, led to secret smoking and more misery.  For me, shame motivated me after a slip to feel so bad about myself that I went back to smoking full time for another year before quitting again--and the whole time I was smoking I wanted to quit.  Please don't let this be you with vaping.  You have a goal in mind, to be free from vaping, so make plans, prepare yourself, read information about addiction and tips on how others successfully quit.  And Barb is right, it is best when you quit to have no vape paraphenalia in your home.  Don't give up your goal over a slip.  It really is good to be free from nicotine and you CAN do this.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@catlove15 Quitting is hard, which is why many attempt and give up, but you are going through the quitting process and facing your challenges head on. You reach out for help which is the first step on being successful. There is no shame in having a setback. Now, you can come back better and stronger than before.

Get back on track and please go easy on yourself; shame is never helpful.  Remember that being smoke free for the long haul is a process. Every long-term process will have setbacks along the way. Take this opportunity as a learning lesson. When you aware of your triggers, it will help you to prevent relapse in the future.

Here are some articles that may be useful:

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/stay-quit/

Quiana, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
maryfreecig

You do know what to do. You came here, told your story to a quit community. Welcome to Ex. Take time to figure out how you are going to make your quit work--loads of info right here at Ex and this is a strong community that will support you.

20230706_181154.jpgScreenshot 2023-01-11 at 9.34.24 PM.png

champsin97

Nothing to be ashamed about.  Remember that only 6% of people that quit make it a year.  That means that 94% of people fall off the wagon at some point.  You just have to put it behind you and keep trying.  Everytime you fail you learn something new that will help you the next time.

0 Kudos
indingrl

No worries I tried to quit using nicotine many times

Just keep trying that's what I did I quit and sucked on death sticks again then time passed I tried again 

Today is all we have just read all the info here on tips and get yourself a new mindset when the crave to vape hits like..... Jogging in place for 3 minutes your lungs will thank you OR dance to your favorite song the crave will pass OR go for a walk and please keep blogging ask for help give us a few minutes to respond with information and sharing just like we were helped 

Hang in the dear friend @catlove15 

0 Kudos