cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gretacinci

Re-Quitting

Hi!  I just joined this site today - I have a 3.5 month old beautiful son and loving husband...I have been an on again off again smoker for almost 20 years...I quit smoking for my pregnancy and made it until about my sons two month bday and suddenly started getting the urge again.  My husband is a non-smoker and doesn't understand the "urge" to smoke - as I type I am at my mom's house sneaking cigarettes so he doens't know - I will shower before I return home  - it is so dishonest.  You would think that after 12 months as a non-smoker it would be easy - but somehow I think the stress of new motherhood made me want to resort to my old ways - I am so disappointed in myself - I still don't smoke everyday but have decided that tomorrow is my quit day - I need to be free of this once and for all - I have so much to be healthy for  - I don't want to do this anymore.  I am writing this post as I feel that there are people out there who can relate to my struggles...your thoughts and prayers are welcome and mine go out to all of you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ann-hare

I can relate!

Last year, I joined this site after having decided to quit - I made it almost 3 months before deciding at a party to have "just one cigarette" and that was it - I was hooked again.

But, I'm trying again...this time, I've decided not to go "cold turkey" - I'm starting the patch this coming Saturday. I also have the extra support of my husband who has decided to quit with me.

Don't beat yourself up too badly. I think it speaks volumes that your mind is on it to know that you do want to quit. Just remember that the stress of motherhood is always going to be there - even after you smoke! That was how I would stop myself from smoking in a stressful situation last year. I'd just tell myself "Ok, if you go have a cigarette, this will still be on your desk, so may as well NOT go have that cigarette and just deal with what is at hand."

For me, there's so much more than the addiction to get over. I'm a creature of habit and have a routine. We're just going to have to modify our routines and habits and focus our energy elsewhere.

Good luck to you! You can do it!

0 Kudos
marcanokeith

Hi my name is Keith Marcano and I am having a very hard time to quit cigarettes. I am also a creature of habit and once I get into a routine it is difficult for me to break the habit. I to have to hide and smoke especially at home. I have all resons to stop smoking since in I live in a nonsmoking environment and have to constantly be hidind and lying about my smoking addiction.

I need support from you guys since my family and friends do not know Ihave a smoking addiction.

Thanks

0 Kudos
lcormican

I know what you mean. I hide smoking from my boyfriend because he says it's him or the cigarettes. He just quit but I've been smoking for 32 years and he smoked for 3 years. I know I have to break the old habits and that alot of my urges to smoke are the result of behaviors I normally do but I can't seem to find anything that works for me. I am an addict in recovery from drugs, but this "drug" (Nicotine) is kicking my butt. I have hardly any support at home because I can't tell anyone I need support without them finding out I'm smoking again. I have tried the patch, Anxiety meds, Chantex, hypnosis, everything and nothing seems to work. I can make it about 8 hours before I start going crazy and I can't keep busy enough to keep my mind off cigarettes. I'm at my wits end. I don't know what to do, I don't want to lose my boyfriend but I don't have the coping skills I need to beat this addiction.

0 Kudos
gretacinci

Thanks so much - it is really nice to read all of your comments - not nice for you that you are going through the same thing but good to have people to relate too!  It is such an insidious thing  - funny that each time I think I NEED one  - I don't feel any better after having smoked it...I guess it's just the learning of new coping skills  - I think back to the times that I was stressed before I was a smoker and I survived so I need to pull on those memories.  I have decided I need to start doing projects that will keep me busy - I so want to be healthy!  At the same time I had my son I also quit my job - which is more stressful than I expected - I didn't realize how much it defined me - and in this time of tremendous change it seems that cigarettes are  the one thing that are just mine...I had them before the husband and the baby - I am somehow clinging to that - doesn't really make sense - I guess I need to find some other hobbies that are just mine!  Good luck to everyone - we can do this!

0 Kudos