cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Rant: Didn't You Come Here Asking for Help?

I'm ticked! It takes a lot for me to get ticked but when I do I explode like a volcano and then I calm down and start thinking reasonable. Hopefully this will happen this time too!

Day after day people come here and ask for answers and support. And day after day the Community of all walks comes here and helps with whatever strength and efforts, answers and knowledge that they have. 

Then there are occasionally those very few who come here, ask for support and then turn around and say, "Who asked you?" 

Well....you did! Or did I miss something? 

If what you really want is for the Community to assure you that you already have the answers about Smoking Cessation and support means that I agree with mistaken concepts that virtually all Nicotine Addicts have about their drug of choice then I can't just say, "Oh Yes! That's a great idea!"

- Hold onto that last pack!

- Hang out with your smoking buddies!

- Keep that smoking patio!

- Go to bars and drink!

I can't do that!

It's not because I'm contrary and against different ways of thinking!

It's because I suffer every moment of every day with a smoking related illness.  It's because I know that nobody wants to die but there are some ways of living that are worse than dying! Dying happens to all of us! 

Because I care about You I don't want you to live the horrible life of an Addict who little by little dwindles away their Quality of Life while they continue to suck on their Sickerettes! 

I get tired. But I come back because I care so much! And I won't smoke over it because smoking never did anything for me - it just robbed me of Quality of everyday Life! Don't let it happen to you!

37 Replies
Mortalzeus

Thomas your words are music to my ears  

Mandolinrain

Thomas you speak for all of us in this rant! Your comments are much appreciated. It does not matter that I have over two years of a quit going....I STILL NEED to be uplifted and reminded at times WHY I will never smoke again. Your posts do that for me and all of us that have kept our quits.

And for those who choose not to accept what we all recommend to them  to help them quit.....I can only say, the seeds have been planted. We can't change them but perhaps our words of our own wisdom and experience will one day take root and they will have a successful quit. 

Blessings my friend. ~Missy

smorgy8513

Thanks to all of the Wise Ones here.....starting with you, my Friend, Thomas!      I get frustrated at times and think of taking a VaCa from here.      I don't come on every day with a blog....but I read most days.      I know that sometimes something that we say or share on here might be helpful to someone who is struggling in the moment.      And part of the Quit that we have is to help others.      

Today is Random Acts of Kindness Day.      Maybe we reach out to someone who is struggling......

I appreciate all of you.

Sharon

RoaringLion

Thanks for the badge, Thomas.  I can relate to the volcano rant as I was just had a small one

0 Kudos
susan_m

LOL, RoaringLion‌ - I almost opened a meditation room for you and Thomas at the cafe.  I was afraid we would not have enough room for everyone.    

TGIF!

pastedImage_1.jpg

0 Kudos
RoaringLion

LOL, sounds necessary!

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 11:14 AM, susan_m <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

Om! Om!

Namaste!

Lauralives

I really appreciate the honesty Thomas and everyone else. The Ex community members that have been on this path for some time have such good advice.  Us newbies are babies and need guidance, support, a slap upside the head now and again, and the truth!!  Me being only 18 days in, I still crave, want, barter, make up stories to myself, lie, and just plain screw up my neatly devised plan to sail through this process and never look back.  WTH am I thinking???  I admit that I am not thinking clearly.  45 years of smoking and for some reason I think this should be easier??  Forgive us if we think we know better.  I'm hoping my brain will be rebalanced at some point in the near future and I will move beyond the smoke screen with a sense of clarity.  Thanks to everyone for the support!!  Lauralives