cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Zozobie

Quitting vaping with patches?

I use a 5% nicotine disposable vape that I puff on (small puffs) literally all day from the moment I wake up till I go to bed. It has 1600 puffs and only lasts me between 3-4 days. Can using nicotine patches help with the cravings? I was thinking the step 3 which is 7mg per day but I have no idea how much nicotine I’m actually ingesting in a day and I don’t want to make the cravings worse. I get very angry and irritable when I stop even for only an hour. Can’t tell if it’s psychological or physical. Please help. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Banjomoob

I don’t have personal experience with using patches, but I highly doubt it would make your cravings worse than going cold turkey. I’m no mathematician but if you’re using an average disposable and it’s lasting you 3.5 days, you’re using roughly 12mg of nicotine per day. Don’t quote me though! That’s just my estimate.

Again, I haven’t used patches but I’m willing to bet that a step 3 patch would help you alleviate your cravings.

Also I feel you on the irritability, but it gets better over time. I’m only 9 days in my quit  but I’m less irritable each and every day. It takes time. 

I hope this helped. Either way, I believe in you and I know you can do it! You got this!

Ben Stillson
0 Kudos

Dump the Vape, go to the Patch System.

Based on how much you smoked will determine where you start with the Program.

Tried to quit many times or 40 years of smoking 2 packs a day. 

April 14, 2006 at 3:30pm,  slapped on the Patch, followed the instructions to the letter, and never looked back.

(I rest my case!!)

Patch cuts off the edge while you focus on ways and means of not smoking.

Patch Rocks!!

Keep digging until you find what works for you, but by all means give this NRT a serious look!!

Hang in there!!

NOPE Rules!!

RikkiJean

Yes you can.  I'm on the cusp of day 21 (tomorrow) using the patch. I'm doing the full 10 week program.  Almost done with the first three weeks.

I vaped WAY more than you: about one and a half 5% JUUL pods per day.  I vaped in the middle of the night. If I can do it, you can do it.

You have to WANT it and you need to make a plan.  I set my quit date two weeks out, and then did a ton of research.  There is a lot of info on this site, and I did a lot of googling.  I learned what nicotine does to my brain.  I learned about dopamine deficiency and how to counteract it. Seriously, EVERYTHING you need to know is on this site if you do some digging. Education is key. Education = power.  You have to take the power away from the nicotine. 

A week before I quit, I switched to 3% pods and started setting timers for myself between puffs.  I got my body used to the feeling of withdrawals. I did a lot of affirming statements out loud every day.  I put post it notes with affirming statements on my bathroom mirror so I'd see them every day.  

The first week of my quit sucked.  Just make peace with that fact now.  Get your tools together and get ready to distract yourself a lot.  Walking is HUGE.  Seriously.  Get ready to not sleep well for a bit.  It just is what it is.  You are an addict.  Your brain is going to try and sabotage your efforts and you need to be mentally ready for that to happen. 

That said, everyone's experience is different.  But, I find it's best to prepare for the worst.  

But I promise you, it gets better.  It gets SOOOO much better.  I don't think about vaping at all anymore.  Just think about that.  That can totally be you too!  The patch has helped me a ton and I'm seeing the whole program through to the end.  I recommend it. 

Stay close to this site.  Post when you're happy, sad, struggling, all of it. Set your quit date now and start preparing. You can do it. 

0 Kudos
RikkiJean

Also....

A 5% JUUL pod has 40mg of nicotine.  So, if you're only going through 1 pod every 3-4 days, then you're taking in maybe 10-12mg per day.  That's about the equivalent of 5-6 Marlboro reds. That should help you gauge where to start on the patch.  Maybe the 14mg one, and take it off at nighttime.  Not wearing it at night will prevent those CRAZY vivid dreams, and you won't get the full 14mg dose since you're leaving it off for 8 hours.  You just need to put a fresh one on when you wake up. 

Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos