cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Dplunkett69

Quitting smoking

I went to see my Pulmonary Dr yesterday and was told I have 3.5 moderate emphysema. I need to quit smoking!!! I’ve tried before many times over 50+ years. I just had my Doctor order Chantix for me and also ordered a fold up treadmill which will be here this Wednesday. With emphysema it is VERY important to quit smoking, exercise and eat a healthy diet as it’s a progressive disease. I really have trouble with the healthy diet! Does anyone have ideas for snacking on things that are healthy while trying to quit? I know I have to keep busy and totally rearrange my daily routine. One major problem is I actually love to smoke 🥺. My husband also smokes but he is going to try and quit with me, which will help. I was on this group about a year ago and just didn’t make it. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks 😊 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
maryfreecig

The insanity of addiction is doing it no matter what it is costing you. I understand. I quit when I was 54 after many decades of smoking a pack or a pack and a half a day.

But I have to challenge you on your statement 'the problem is I really love smoking.'  Without nicotine in those cigarettes (your addiction) you wouldn't be saying you really love smoking, and with emphysema you also would immediately stop smoking--except it is an addiction. Don't let "love" stop you from quitting. You've had hundreds of thousands of cigarettes in your life time, so you had your chance to enjoy them, now you have a stronger reason to give up your "love." You probably get all of this, and there is no need for me to say it at all--it's just that time and time again I've seen smokers here at Ex declare their love of smoking as if love of smoking is a reason to keep smoking. In the end it boils down to addiction. You can beat this addiction and learn to love lots of other things. Thanks for telling your story. You can quit!!! Take time to prepare.

Snacks. 

Puffed rice no added sugar.

Low salt olives.

Greek salad with olives and no fat feta cheese.

Sugar free suckers.

Apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter.

Small portions of things you love.

Eat fruits and veggies then have a small portion treat

Air popped popcorn

Bake muffins with fruits and whole flour-flavor with vanilla, add no sugar

Use a no sugar added jam

Mix your own granola with raisins, seeds, chopped nuts, toasted oats, touch of sugar if desired, no sugar added chocolate

Sliced apple with cinn. sugar

Retrain your brain one day at a time.

Dplunkett69

Thank you Mary for your suggestions about snacks 😊 I know my love for smoking is not a reason keep smoking! As you know they have been my friend for years and yes, it’s a terrible addiction but I’m determined to STOP 🛑. I have to. 

maryfreecig

Yeah! So glad to hear that you are determined to stop. This matters so much. Way to go. One day at a time you can achieve your quit goals. 🙂

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Dplunkett69 Welcome to the Ex.  I have a similar story. It took me 50 years with many unsuccessful attempts.

I was diagnosed with mild emphysema and decided I needed to quit.  It didn't  work that first year of my diagnosis, but it did the second with the help of a wonderful Pulmonary doctor who motivated me--didn't try to scare me.  I picked a quit date, attended a smoking cessation class, used Welbturin and nicotrol inhalers, and cut down for a week on a strict schedule.   A week prior to my quit, I found the Ex and learned about nicotine addiction, how I needed to prepare for my quit and for the first time had the support that was always lacking.  

Use this time leading up to your quit to learn about this addiction and to put a quit plan in place.  What tools you'll use, what are your triggers, creating new associations instead of smoking, etc.

The link at the bottom BecomeAnEx Guides and Tools is a great place to start.  (sorry it's not allowing me to copy the link today?)

Also, consider taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time and to support your fellow quitters.

We're here for you, so reach out anytime we can help.

Look forward to celebrating with you on the 28th.

Barb

Lindaaham

If you like apples 🍎 a fun thing I like to do is use my Apple slicer (makes many even slices in one push). Throw them in my favorite bowl (pasta bowl has enough room) and plop a big heaping tablespoon or more of peanut butter on the side.  Dip slice into peanut butter and enjoy!  I also love prunes as a snack.  I eat chobani yogurt mixed berry every night while watching tv.  Raisin bread and peanut butter is good also.  Of course carrot sticks (pre cut is easy).  I like the slim ones easier to chew.  First thing in the morning I have a banana them later I boil water for a serving size of Quaker Oats (big container) and throw chopped walnuts in it. Quick and easy.  You could also blend the banana and walnuts in the bowl with the oatmeal-very yummy.  I’m single so sometimes a whole can of spinach is a meal for me.  I buy Purdue chicken tenders and individually wrap and put in freezer.  In the morning I just take out what I need for dinner and they cook quick in some oil.  I sprinkle poultry seasoning and a little sea salt and in 10 mins. I eat with whatever canned veggies or fresh I have.  Good luck you can do it!  Simple ingredients less stress.  Oh and a whole sweet potato cut up and boiled and then mashed with a fork with a little margarine can also be a meal for me.