cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

she

Quitting Side Effects

I saw something on television about this site and thought I'd check it out. I am an ex of about 19 months now. I smoked 'forever' and used to literally cry out of frustration because I thought I could never quit. I tried everything except the patches which scared me.

I finally quit with help from a friend of mine who gave me support and advice. I think the reason I was successful, part of it anyway, was because when I quit smoking I also quit drinking alcohol and coffee at the same time. Yikes! Sounds crazy doesn't it but I think it helped because I did start drinking coffee again after a few weeks but now it's just once in a while, not a whole pot every day! And then I did start drinking alcohol again but after two months and by then I didn't associate it with smoking anymore.

I think giving up three things and taking a couple back allowed me to 'cave' on the other things yet still not smoke. I still get butterflies sometimes when I think about smoking and the fact that I don't need it anymore. I truly believe I will never smoke again because I know for certain if I do I will never be able to stop again.

I came here to see what everyone is talking about and to hopefully give support.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jennie3

Hi welcome!
0 Kudos
betsy3

Like you I came upon this site after quitting. I woke up one morning about 8 weeks ago and said enough. I;d smoked for about 35 years. Well, wonder of wonders I really don't miss it. Occasionally, I get this feeling like "Oh yeah I use to have a smoke here" it passes and I move on. How amazing is that? So welcome to the site and keep posting!
0 Kudos
gail3

Suzanne, why do you have to wait till you're gum-free to remember you hate the smell of smoke? seems to me you don't smoke anymore. being a gum addict (:)) doesn't make you smoky. i'm still working toward that big moment when it's done. i'm doing Chantix and and and. . . just started Welbutrin again today. maybe 'tween them both and more determination on my part, i'll finish this. good luck to you.
0 Kudos
gail3

and i don't think i'm wrong but when i tried the patch years ago, i was told that the stuff in it (and gum, etc.) was LIKE nicotine but not really nicotine - more like lobelia or Indian tobacco. so your addiction to the gum might be more psychological than physical.
0 Kudos
edith2

Welcome She! I stopped drinking and doing drugs in the 70's and I don't miss them at all. When I quit smoking over 4 years ago, I think in alot of ways it was way harder than anything I've quit. I still drink alot of coffee, but hey, I live in the Seattle area! haha! That's what we do here. We drink coffee and we don't tan, we rust! I'm glad you're here.
gail3

yeah, cinnamon gum would be as sharp tasting as that stuff. i never could do the gum. i felt like i was 'chawin' tabacky.
the welbutrin affects me by making me feel more alert and one of my major triggers is sleepiness. i've used smokes a long time to stay awake. not eat. not sleep. yeah, i'm a little neurotic. been a long life already. one thing i'm NOT doing is trying ot lengthen my stay here. geez, who needs more? well, ok, some people look forward to more time here. but this is not my incentive. quality of life, that's what i want. and then i'm going to rip those dam* things from my boyfriend's hands so he can feel better, too. he quit a big drinking habit a few years ago but the cigs are too much for him. maybe soon.
you're doing ok. i'm doing ok. and i like this site way better than others.
0 Kudos
gail3

i keep wondering what someone comes here for if they quit years ago. i'm sure this isn't true, but it makes me think they come to gloat. i want to take the encouragement but i'd be a lot more interested in the how-did-they-do-it, details, specifics. nobody who's quit for a long time seems to talk about all the physical stuff they went through or the habits they had to change or the triggers they faced. there's so many little things that happen - the dopiness, the light-headedness, the hungryness, the nervousness. i even seem to have some motor-control issues sometimes with various muscles. thanks for the rallying. how about some info? like how long did it take for your sinuses to get clear?
0 Kudos