Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bean14

Quitting Chew, I'm new here

Hi everyone

I am 44, and have chewed for 31 years.  

Trying to quit again!

I quit on Tuesday night and put the patch on Weds morning. 

The longest I have ever quit has been about 6 months.  I've tried many different methods: Wellbutrin, patch, gum, cold turkey, etc.  Some methods have worked well.  Wellbutrin worked nice for about 3 months until I got into an argument with my wife.  Cold turkey was a bugger but it worked, until depression set in after six weeks.  Patches usually have not worked real well but it seems to be working this time.  I am so optimistic this time!  I feel really good on day 4.

Things that are different this time?

I'm trying to focus on feeling better today, not in the future.  Usually it was "I'll quit so I don't get sick later."  That didn't work for me.  I would have thoughts like "If this is what life is like without chewing, it sucks."

I'm trying to feel better for my sake, not anyone elses.  

I'm trying to realize this is a day at a time, but also a long term thing.  If I am on the patch for months, it is okay.  I was always in a rush to hurry and get off the patch to save money. (My insurance sucks so I have zero access to any of this stuff.)  But I came to the realization that a can of chew every three days is 10 cans a month.  That's fifty bucks for the cheap stuff.  4 weeks of patches is about the same thing.  (I feel horrible for you smokers at 8 bucks a pack, that's 250 bucks a month for many people!!)

I'm here looking for some support.  There are some sites specifically for chewers, but they seem a bit militant...insisting on providing each other text numbers and the like.  They also yell at people using NRT and even medication, it's like a big contest to see who the biggest man is LOL!  So I chose to come and hang out with you guys on this board.  

Bean

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies