Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lois2

Quitters in Their 50's

Still smoke free, we have a strong quit going on,
Tags (1)
1,125 Replies
patsyphillips

My quit date is September 21, 2015. I am trying to cut back right now and it isn't easy. I have been smoking since I was 14 and I am now 57 but I need to quit for me and my family.

0 Kudos
barbaroe

Hi,

My name is LIsa and I've been a pack day smoker for over 40 years.  I've tried several times to quit.  I've decided to try again and since May 1, I've been down to 5 or less cigarettes a day using nicotine lozenges.  I'm finding it much easier.  My birthday is next month, and I've decided that not smoking is a birthday present that I"m giving myself.

Now let's hope I can totally cut the ties on June  6, so that when my birthday rolls around, I'l know I've been smoke free for a few weeks.

germbrain

Hi! So today is my first day and it has been so nice to find this group with so many people over 50 in it. I was definitely one of those people who was wondering if it was just too late for me. 

I am doing ok so far today, but am concerned about the ride home. Driving in the car is a tough time for me. 

Susan57

Hi,

this would be the day before the planned day of quitting, knowing what lies ahead is known some what because I have done this before. September 1st will be 7 years since my last cigarette and I did this cold turkey.

happy to say this is the best gift ever to give myself and will never ever smoke again. This was not easy to  do , to be honest,  and knew it would not be a cake walk. My husband does not smoke, so there was no enticements and he did support my efforts. When I wanted to smoke I would eat, candy, egg noodles, and knew after the quit was over I could diet. After a few weeks I began to have more feeling in my skin that I never felt before and at hat point I kept up the avoidance of smoking up until this day. This was very difficult because I truly loved smoking and that would kill me in time. 

I smoked 45 years, give or take a few years, smoking was a big part of my life. I began smoking at such a young age and that's all I knew and could not imagine a life without smoking.

i know you can stop. A life without smoking is better for you and especially your family.

much success on your journey.

Susan Sweet

Susan57

Hi,

this would be the day before the planned day of quitting, knowing what lies ahead is known some what because I have done this before. September 1st will be 7 years since my last cigarette and I did this cold turkey.

happy to say this is the best gift ever to give myself and will never ever smoke again. This was not easy to  do , to be honest,  and knew it would not be a cake walk. My husband does not smoke, so there was no enticements and he did support my efforts. When I wanted to smoke I would eat, candy, egg noodles, and knew after the quit was over I could diet. After a few weeks I began to have more feeling in my skin that I never felt before and at hat point I kept up the avoidance of smoking up until this day. This was very difficult because I truly loved smoking and that would kill me in time. 

I smoked 45 years, give or take a few years, smoking was a big part of my life. I began smoking at such a young age and that's all I knew and could not imagine a life without smoking.

i know you can stop. A life without smoking is better for you and especially your family.

much success on your journey.

Susan Sweet

0 Kudos
fabulousat50

Hello to everyone, and congrats on your quit. I am new to the group just want to introduce myself.  Just turned 50 on 12/31 and chose that day as my final quit, i have tried before many times but i chose that day because i feel i was ready and that is the best birthday gift i could give myself.  I feel very confident with this quit, and know if i continue with this site and all the people here to help this quit will be successful.  I enjoy coming to the site reading everyone stories , blogs, very helpful.  Look forward to making new friends in 2018. 

JoAnne

Mandolinrain

Hi Joanne and welcome to Ex. Does not look like anyone has posted in this group for quite sometime so wanted to suggest you write a regular blog on the Site, I’m still in the 50 club, I turn 60 in June though. Also think I have flu right now but noticed your post and wanted to welcome you. Good that your here and reading, very good indeed. Welcome again and I will post more when I am feeling better!

0 Kudos
gottastop2

Congrats JoAnne! You are right about the best birthday gift you could give yourself! I'm in my fifties and and haven't smoked in 50 days!! This is a great place for encouragement and education! It sounds like you have a great attitude for making this your final quit! I encourage you to go to the daily pledge each day, something about putting that p,edge in writing has got me through a few tough minutes! Happy New Year!

0 Kudos
fabulousat50

Congrats to 50 days, that is awesome. I will check in every morning and pledge to not smoke , and be very active on the site

JoAnne

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome JoAnne!  Glad you joined and started your journey.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos