cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

t1wells

Quit After 20+ Years

I am using the becomeanex.org site to stop my nasty habit. My quit date is 02/23/10 and I am doing it for my health and my family, not to mention the overwhelming expenses. I'm 40 and know that smoking is aging me beyond what nature intended. I truly love to smoke but I have to stop. How can I tell my 15 and 16 year olds to never smoke when that is all they have ever seen me do. I have this beautiful granddaughter that is 9 months from my 23 year old (who also smokes) and I don't want her biggest memory of  me being the way that I smelled like smoke.

0 Kudos
128 Replies
doxie

Wow!  I wish  I had the willpower alot of you have. When I decide to quit,which I want to in May I'm going to have to hear alot more stories because I really need to do this. I have patches to start off with but I think hearing from people who smoke and knowing that it's hard for you guys too might make this easier!  Keep up the good work this has got tobe rewarding for you if you can quit.

Doxie

0 Kudos
lois2

every body is doing GREAT keep it up.

0 Kudos
doggoneit

I'm new to this website and I really need to quit, mostly because of the cost of cigarettes since the SCHIP Tobacco tax in April of last year.  And I also want to quit before I have any disabling effects. 

I really appreciate what you wrote, Blur.  I also started smoking when I was a young teen and have been smoking 2-packs a day for about 50 years.  And, at this point, I really feel pretty hopeless. And I also like what you said about being a Non-Smoker instead of being an Ex-Smoker.

I tried Chantix before but had some problems with it - but then I have problems with most medications.  But maybe I need to try it again.  That is the only stop-smoking product that ever worked for me.  I have tried everything else without much success.  I actually became addicted to the Nicorette gum. 

Well, Blur.  Thanks for what you wrote.  That does give me hope!

0 Kudos
blur

I went out to warm my truck  up this morning.  Started it and went to go back in the house to get my things. The door was locked. i went back to the running truck to discover all of its doors locked. Frustrated and cold (15 degrees) I began to wander the neighborhood looking for someone who may have a coat hanger.  40 minutes later I found one. 20 minutes later I learn, I cant break into my truck its anti- theft system wont let me. I then called my wife at work well over an hour away to come and save me. She showed up an hour later opened the truck door shutting the warm truck off. She then let me in the house to get warm and use the rest room I had been dreaming /praying for since I called her. She then gave me a lecture of I should have called 2 hours ago for help.  I would the have been on time for work and she would  have been happy to carpool with me. It gives her the excuse to get out of cooking dinner and picking somthing up on the way home.

The real b**ch of the whole ordeal is she is RIGHT. I need to ask for help more. Yea Its great to be self sufficent. It also helps myself and others when support is needed. The greatest part also is I didnt smoke thinking it makes things better.  I have been on chantix for 2 weeks. It has ruined my sleep. Talking with my doc. The withdrawls of nicotine should be over. The challenge of living smoke free continues. Iam weening of chantix and should be off by Sat. I will continue to pop in here. frequently,as well as the many other sites I have been visiting.

Good luck dogdoneit and all the other new kids. We can make it.

0 Kudos
lois2

sounds like you had a ruff day Blur i am proud of you you did not smoke, dogdoneit i got hook on the committ log, i am going back with the chantix, i know it works, stay strong everybody.

0 Kudos
pls

Been smoking for 24 years (off and on smoked 2 or 3 packs in a day). My average was one pack a day. I use the lozenges and stopped taking them when I thought that I was getting addicted to them.  I feel like a smoker who is just not smoking right now. I want to feel like a non-smoker.  Anyone have any advice? 

0 Kudos
mamalala

Lets see.... how do I do this

0 Kudos
mamalala

Ok... figured it out....

Anyhow.... I'm here, trying to quit again. Never used this site before and I'm just looking for other people trying to quit for support.  I quit for 6 months on Chantix in 2009 and then had a family crisis and when right back to my best friend, cigarettes.

So dumb!  My doctor wants me to do it without Chantix this time and I'm not sure I can... the medication made it easy for me.  My plan is to do it the same way I did with the Chantix which was to eliminate and count cigarettes.  Removing them from my system.

Im 48 years old and have been struggling with this for 20 plus years!  I want to be done with it!!!  I have two great sons and I dont want them to have to deal with me being sick because of what Ive done to myself with stupid cigarettes!!!

0 Kudos
chris148

Day 16 for me!  The cravings are still there - but not as much! Problem is - I know that I have put on weight!  I am eating healthy - but the metabolism is down - has been going down since I started to cut down and most definitely since I stopped.

Now I am getting depressed because of it - but - I know what has to be done.... excercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh! I hate to do it - but I have to or the money I am saving because of not smoking will be used for new clothes in bigger sizes!!!!!!!!!!!! ( and this was done already!)  I sit all day in school and well - just hate to have to think about getting up too early to do anything and by the time I get home - I don't want to do it either - in short - I have allowed myself to become lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Did I exchange one habit for another????????

0 Kudos

hi - new here and need a support group!  Just returned home from an overnight hospital stay that scared me big time.  Heart attack symtoms and I am a high-risk female!  Thanks to God, my heart is in good condition - seems the symptoms were more to blame on some medication I have been taking for bursitis (prednisone - nasty stuff!).  But also thanks to God, what a warning!  I've been obessesed with quitting for several months now but couldn't quite work up the nerve to get started.  I smoked for about 10 years, quit for 8 years before starting up again (was stupid to start again but the stress of a broken marriage, job etc. is my excuse) and have been smoking again (about a pack a day) for about 6 years.   If I don't quit, I know it will kill me earllier than someone who does not smoke.  It stinks, it's expensive and it's hard to find a good date because I know it makes me unattractive.

They put a patch on me in the hospital and I've gone for 24 hours - so I may as well keep going.  I know at some point I will panic and will need others to chat with and talk me out of smoking "just one"

Have not tried Chantix but the ER Doctor highly recommeneded it.  I know my Doctor would write the RX if I ask and I'm not concerned about the cost because I would spend that much on smokes anyhow.

I plan to start an exercise program tomorrow - a little treadmill here where I live and sign up for Curves workout 3x a week.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what else I can hold or put in my mouth when I start getting cravings?  I'm ok right now, but I lterally just got home from the hospital.  I suspect the next few days are gonna be rough . . .

meed friends and support!   And I will return the same . . . .  I did this once, and I can do it again!  Used patches and a very mild sedative to get me through the first few weeks.

Has anyone/everyone has good or bad luck with Chantix?  I'm worried about side effects and not being able to sleep.

0 Kudos