cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

t1wells

Quit After 20+ Years

I am using the becomeanex.org site to stop my nasty habit. My quit date is 02/23/10 and I am doing it for my health and my family, not to mention the overwhelming expenses. I'm 40 and know that smoking is aging me beyond what nature intended. I truly love to smoke but I have to stop. How can I tell my 15 and 16 year olds to never smoke when that is all they have ever seen me do. I have this beautiful granddaughter that is 9 months from my 23 year old (who also smokes) and I don't want her biggest memory of  me being the way that I smelled like smoke.

0 Kudos
128 Replies
sharmaine73

HI GUYS, JUST JOINED ALSO.I"AM 36YRS OLD ,STARTED SMOKING AT THE AGE OF 18.I DID QUIT EVERY TIME WE HAD A CHILD BUT ALWAYS STARTED BACK.ITS HARDER ALSO CUSE MY HUSBAND SMOKES.I SEEM TO EAT MORE NOW THAT I"AM TRYING TO QUIT.AND GOD KNOWS I  DON"T WANNA GAIN WEIGHT..

0 Kudos
ruth12

Hi everyone........I just joined.  I've been a smoker for about 40 years.  Last year I started taking Chantix, and it really did seem to help at first, but then I lost it due to some major stress.  I'd like to try and quit without taking anything, and am determined to give it a try.

Hope everyone has a great day.

0 Kudos
lois2

all of you keep up the good job, hang in there,

0 Kudos
sunshine4

hello i am 45 have been smoking since i was 12 , i have quit a couple of times before but always start up again, i guess i have to just say NO  my husband smokes that makes it harder he is trying to quit this time with me (at least he is not smoking around me) i really hate everything about smoking smell cost and knowing i am killing myself!! i am useing nicotine gum it seem to help but i am chewing alot need to cut back on that its funny because in the begining for me its kinda easy than a couple of weeks go by and thats when it starts getting hard for me , well saturday will be 2 weeks for me and hear we go again nows when i start thinking abiut giving in BUT NO NOT THIS TIME i want to be hear to see my kids grow up and have familys of their own thanks all for listening i am sure i will be back

0 Kudos
lucylu

Read Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Quit Smoking.  It pretty much says it all.  A great aid to understanding the large and small monsters dwelling in a smoker's head and body and how to kill them off.

0 Kudos
mater

I am 59 years old and have been smoking for about 42 years.  My addiction is not just physical but mental and phychological. I can quit but I haven't been able to stay quit. My past failures and disappointments have me mentally locked up but this is subject to change.  I know that the withdrawal is a necessary part of quitting because my body has a lot of readjusting to do from the poison of nicotine. It's kind of like going thru a divorce.  And breaking up is hard to do!! lol

I'm very thankful for this website and to meet fellow strugglers who I can relate to.  I envy the ones that are on their way.  It's that first step that is the hardest.  I am really sick and tired of kissing on a cig.  Need to be saving those kisses for my 12 beautiful grandchildren.

mater

0 Kudos
chris148

Well, today MAY be the Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am babysitting my youngest Grandson and well - look at the time!!!!!!!!!!! No puffs on a cig yet!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am afraid to declare this the day - but well we will see!  

Yesterday only had the equivalent of 1/2 of a smoke  - and am so far smoke free since 5:30 last night!  didn't plan on today being the day - but as I said - we will see!!!!!!!!!!!!!  🙂  Got through cravings 2x so far - and it wasn't so bad!

0 Kudos
deb67

I just signed up today. I have been smoking since I was 16, and I will soon be 55. Smoking has been a part of my life forever, and I LOVE IT-HATE IT, just like others I have read. I set my quit date for March 1- I tried Feb 1 but the site said too soon. I have never seriously tried to quit, but have played around with it for a few years. I have Chantix and also the inhaler. I am a little afraid of Chantix, due to the warnings and side effects. I have used the patches with pretty good sucess in fighting cravings, but they give me nightmares. Wake up SCREAMING nightmares! Scary!

I dream of not smelling like smoke! Good luck to all- I will check daily.

0 Kudos
chris148

Hi - just wondering if anyone out there got really bad headaches when they didn't have a cigarette for quite a few hours?

I have a tremendous headache - and am still fighting the cravings for a smoke - could this be why?

0 Kudos
lois2

NO HEADACHES when i quit, but i have headaches when i smoke, chris, ialso been smoking for 42 years,i want to quit again, does any body need some one to quit with? have not set a quit date yet.i have also read Allen Carr's book, makes since it is more mental with me,that want to smoke stays with you for life i guess but it does get better, i quit for6 mons went back 3 weeks a go, i hope that I will never take another puff, i have got to bet this addittion, i know we can, i have got to make up my mind on a quit date, good luck to all of you.

0 Kudos