cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

larrymc

Peace

I am 57 and trying to quit. The biggest reason is get my wife off my back about it.

I enjoy smoking and have smoking since I was 14 yrs. old.

It seemlike I am trying to quit being me.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Susan57

Hello larrymc,

I am so happy too hear that quitting is at least on your mind.

Before I stopped, over 3 years ago, quitting the smoking habit was a thought everyday and just wondered how it would be. Finally picking a day, September 1st, 2009, was a big day for myself. The first few days  were easy and the difficulty set in near the end of the week. My personality took a turn weeks into this, keeping busy is the best advice I can give and it helped. Within 8 weeks or so I made at least 1 apron a week, ate lots, chewed gum, I did seek a phyco therapist, argued with my husband and said some unkind words to my step daughter. You see, I gave up my best friend that had a gun to my head everday and I did this 'cold turkey' and smoked for 45 years, give or take a few years.

Now, my life is without lighters, trips to the cigarette store, finding places to smoke, no more wheezing, coughing, or feeling 'is there a place for me to smoke'. I still love eating, gained about 12 lbs, that I lose and gain back over and over again, but I love it and will never, ever, smoke again. Not one puff because of the danger of going back. I was so addicted to smoking that the 'one puff' will send me right back to the cigarette store.

So, please do not blame your family, this is your journey to take and your family can help you because they want you to stop.

Best Regards,

S. Sweet

0 Kudos
Susan57

Hello larrymc,

I am so happy too hear that quitting is at least on your mind.

Before I stopped, over 3 years ago, quitting the smoking habit was a thought everyday and just wondered how it would be. Finally picking a day, September 1st, 2009, was a big day for myself. The first few days  were easy and the difficulty set in near the end of the week. My personality took a turn weeks into this, keeping busy is the best advice I can give and it helped. Within 8 weeks or so I made at least 1 apron a week, ate lots, chewed gum, I did seek a phyco therapist, argued with my husband and said some unkind words to my step daughter. You see, I gave up my best friend that had a gun to my head everday and I did this 'cold turkey' and smoked for 45 years, give or take a few years.

Now, my life is without lighters, trips to the cigarette store, finding places to smoke, no more wheezing, coughing, or feeling 'is there a place for me to smoke'. I still love eating, gained about 12 lbs, that I lose and gain back over and over again, but I love it and will never, ever, smoke again. Not one puff because of the danger of going back. I was so addicted to smoking that the 'one puff' will send me right back to the cigarette store.

So, please do not blame your family, this is your journey to take and your family can help you because they want you to stop.

Best Regards,

S. Sweet

0 Kudos
jooch

Hi Larry and Susan,

I can relate with you Larry as my husband and kids have been on me about quitting.  Sunday 2-13-13, I did it for ME.  I finally figured enough is enough.  I love all that you have had to say Susan.  It keeps me thinking on the positive side of the WHY I am doing this.  On the evening of the 3rd day the crankiness set in.  This website helps me deal with my crabbiness.  It will get better I am sure, especially when I get to plug into this site and read good stuff.

Hugs Judy : )

0 Kudos
Susan57

Hi Judy:)

Guess you'll know when the time has come to give it up. Like I said 'everyday I thought about giving it up; but when would that be'.

I am so happy that smoking is no more in my life and never will be.

Crankiness is part of it and it will get easier as time goes on. Eat, eat, and eat more and if you gain a few pounds, so what, that can be taken care of afterwards.

Good Luck Judy

S. Sweet

0 Kudos
jooch

Thanks Susan. 

0 Kudos
Susan57

So.......how's it going for everyone?

If this is difficult, it does get easier as time goes by, this I promise:) Remember to eat and eat some more. Get the cookbook out and expierement, your family will love it!

Cheers,

S. Sweet

0 Kudos