cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kariley

Overeating?!?!

Overeating!?!?  Need help!  I'm on day 18 and really doing well with the smoking - but it's the eating I'm having issues with today!  I just can't seem to stop.  Does anyone have any advise?  I'm trying to make healthier choices, but it's definitely not happening on most occasions!!

17 Replies
elvan

I ate Sour Patch kids...they are intensely sour and they reset my brain, so to speak.  I ate too many of them sometimes and that was made apparent by the soreness in my mouth.  I did not worry about overeating and I would advise anyone and everyone who is quitting, to put weight concerns and overeating on the back burner.  You can always adjust your diet, increase your activity, and take care of your weight once you are feeling more secure in your quit.  The damage that smoking can do is irreversible and not worth it.  Take it one minute at a time...remember that you are taking care of your quit like its life depends upon you because it DOES.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

maryfreecig

Take a little bit of time to learn what low calorie food you do like, then have that on hand so that you can snack on the low calorie. A little snooping on youtube and the internet will inform you pretty quick. 

Now I love celery with blue cheese dressing (2 TBSP of my favorite dressing is not too many calories to have with the celery). I love radishes and garlic dill pickles-both have next to zero calories and it takes a little time to eat. You may not care for these things, but if you look into it, you will find some low calorie favorites. Keeping them on hand gives you a few seconds pause time so that you don't choose high calorie all the time first. 

I hear you though! Pretty common to eat more and gain a little weight. Generally the eating tapers off and the weight moderates.

Congrats on your smobriety!

JACKIE1-25-15

Going to be brief with this answer.  In order to avoid not eating healthy snacks you have to clean out the pantry and fridge of unhealthy snacks.  Start over with healthy foods that you like.  If they are not around you will not be tempted.  Focus on the quit and the rest will fall in place.

indingrl

CONGRATS ON 18 NICOTINE FREE DAYS KARILEY! Yahoooo great job. No worries your taking great care of you and STAYING QUIT IS first and just like everyone shared STAYING QUIT NO MATTER WHAT TOGETHER... good job blogging and please keep on keeping and thank you for helping ME remain with you ...I was 200 last month and this month 205 so it happens..NOT ONE PUFF OVER ME....  WE will be ok in MY Lord Jesus name amen please take what HELPS and let go of the rest to be HELPFUL is MY only aim thank you! 

0 Kudos
Kristih78

Not Smoking is your #1 priority,however your doing this for your health as well, I had the same problem and it wasn' fun to see I had gained 7 pounds. I felt disappointment  ,because I have always struggled with weight. I found putting effort in and joining a gym, shopping for healthy snacks, and buying healthy fruits and yogurts to make a smoothie, it really did satisfy food craving. We are all different and need different things, but I'm sure this will get better, I'm not eating like I did at first and I'm now going on my 23rd day of not smoking journey. Find other interests and the biggest thing is let yourself go through these emotions ,they will pass and you won' feel like you need to eat all the time. You can do this!!!!! 

minihorses

Sorry if this is a repeat of any reply above.  I didn't have time to read them. What you have is what I affectionelly call hand-to-mouth disease.  We are so used to the motion of smoking that we substitute food for the hand-to-mouth motion.  Food gives us dopamine the equivalent of smoking too.  Nicotine is supposedly a stimulant which makes people less hungry.    I've done nothing but eat for 3 months.  First thing like everyone says is to take care of your number one priority, stopping smoking.  Take care of yourself as well. Don't beat yourself up for eating more!  I'm not gonna sugar-coat this, it's hard and if food helps, eat rather than smoke.  Even if you gain some weight it's easier to lose it later than it is to lug an oxygen bottle around or be tied to a concentrator!  I've gained a lot of weight but today (117 days down) I started watching my food and walking a mile. Stay close to the loving people here.  Together we can make this the last time you ever have to do this!

Julie

c2q

More commonly known as coffee stir sticks, these were my go-to "chew on something"s through the first few months of my quit (or longer!) They are nonperishable, fat-free, sugar-free and totally calorie-free. I cut them in half and kept a stash in my purse, in my car, in my desk at work.

I highly recommend:

JACKIE1-25-15

I used those also.  They had this wonderful plastic, no taste that lasted a long time.  Once you chewed it it could b recycled. I still keep a few with me.  They make great tooth picks. lol