cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

Our bodies, Our temples

Remember when we thought it would be so cool to start smoking, to fit in with the other smokers?  Back then that's what I thought.  Boy, I wish I could go back in time to speak with my younger self and I would tell him, smoking doesn't make you cool or fit in with any group. Not beginning with that First cigarette Will not only make you cool, it will save you from Major health issues in the future.

I smoked for nearly 50 years, quit in July of 2018 and up until this year had no problems, then the issues showed themselves in the form of the start of COPD/Emphysema.  I could kick myself in the Ass for becoming a smoker back in 1969.

Some of the problems I'm facing is, lack of energy, inability to work for too long in the yard without getting winded and a constant reminder what I did to my body.  Those of you who are taking that First step to quit, I offer these words of encouragement and advice.  DO IT. DON'T GO BACK TIME AND TIME AGAIN. YOU are Stronger than the cigarette and the cravings last only for a short time.  As the days go by the cravings are less and you are taking that first step to be among many here who have quit.  I don't want what is happening to me to happen to you.  Love yourself More than that damn smoke Demon.

Love ya all

Ralph

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
5 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good reminders, thank you for sharing! 

~Margaret, EX Community Admin Team

EX Community Admin Team
Ralph1955

Part of our process is being Honest not only to ourselves but others as well. 

biscuit9

It is good that you quit when you did.  This is something that all of us face, even as quitters.  I was remembering years ago, that I heard "once you quit, it takes "x amount of time for your lungs to go back to normal".  Apparently, that's not true depending on your situation.  Or maybe I am remembering that wrong.  

What you stated at the beginning of your letter, is so true.  I also just wanted to fit in with the "cool kids" and I thought I looked cool when I smoked and I regret ever feeling that way.  All we can do is try to tell others, and hopefully they listen.  When you are a teenager you simply ignore the dangers cos you know that is "years from now" that you have to start worrying.  Don't be fooled by that thinking.

0 Kudos
Maki

@Ralph1955 , thanks for sharing this , I’m sure some of it was hard to write but you did so to help others . It hasn’t gone un - noticed . It’s a powerful testimony and thank you for rooting others on to quit now before copd catches up to them too . COOD is such a silent thing until it isn’t ! You’ve touched someone I know @Ralph1955 and likely changed their lives because-of your post today ;  perhaps someone sitting on the fence afraid to begin . You have reassured them that quitting smoking or vaping no matter what , is worth it and I agree with you , it is worth it ! 

I am sorry to hear tho that you are struggling with your  copd  hopefully medications can keep the progression under control . I also take two inhalers for copd , but I find walking as much as three times a day singing as well as the pulmonary rehab help . Keep moving ok as best you can .  Keep posting , keep walking . Keep the quit always ! 

Ralph1955

Thank you so much for your kind words. What I failed to mention also is that due to smoking I am now in the process of getting dentures. Years of smoking has resulted in a lot of problems for me. I hope No One has to go through this. 

0 Kudos