cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

wannabeex2

OMG.....I just heard Patches are dangerous...anyone?

Hi everyone,

I'm 26 hours away from being smoke free for a whole week!!  YAY!  I'm using the patch, and just read that they are dangerous.  Have you guys heard anything about that????  It CAN'T be worse than smoking, can it??? 

I smoked a pack a day(pack and a half if I was off work....), and I'm using the 'step 2', 14mg patches, and feeling much better than I thought I would.  No weird side effects, etc.  I have to keep my hands busy, but that's to be expected.  I can't believe that patches are worse than smoking(and my cough is going away-haven't had to use my inhaler since I quit).......I HOPE not, anyway.

Has anyone heard about this???????

0 Kudos
16 Replies
wannabeex2

No, I've never smoked with the patch on!  I read the directions,a nd it's definitely not recommended, and I've not had the urge.

I thought I would have trouble becasue my skin is SO sensitive to everything. I've had no trouble, except for a bit of adhesive stuck on for awhile.(kind of like a bandaid...)  No redness, rashes, etc. And the little bit of sticky comes off in the shower without scrubbing.  I hope you have better luck this time.......it's worth it!  As long as you're not allergic.....

0 Kudos
kathie3

Hi, the patch will definately make life easier!!  You are using a lower dosage which is a smart decision.  Everything has it's drawbacks, you have to weigh the pros and cons.  The safest way to do this is to talk to your doc.  He/she knows how much you smoke, your age, the condition of your respiratory system and heart.  Using the patch does increase your heart rate and in some cases your metabolic rate and can cause heart complications.  To be sure...ask your doctor- everyone is different.  Congratulations!! 

0 Kudos
ky97

I've ordered a non medicated free patch to try. Then I'll know if it's a go again. Thanks

0 Kudos

You can get additional support in the BLOGS! That's where most of us hang out! Come see what the long term quitters are saying!

0 Kudos
grammy24

They are dangerous is not used as directed. Do Not Smoke while wearing a patch, too much nicotene. If you have high blood pressure, you might consult with your doctor.

Use them like the box says too and you should be ok, just don't smoke.

0 Kudos
becky61

I haven't heard  anything, I hope not cause they sure are helping me quit.

I haven't smoked in 3 days. They really help with cravings.

0 Kudos
stop-smoking5

That's kind of funny...They can cause problems if they are combined with other smoking cessation products; but they are just as valid of a stop smoking aid as anything else.  You should be coming up on 3 weeks!  Are you still going strong?

0 Kudos