cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

freedom8

Non-nicotine versus NR durgs

I have tried to stop smoking off/on 15 or more times.   I have two successful quit experiences, one where I did the patches, and one where I went cold turkey.

I frequent the website whyquit.com and have read all the information on that website.  My most successful quit was cold turkey, and this is what this 25 year veteran of nicotine cessation says is the best way to quit (his name is JOEL on the website).  He mentions that IF someone first uses the nicotine replacement drugs and has a successful quit, then that was a successful quit. HOWEVER, this is where my question comes in, he also talks about research that says that once a person has TRIED the nicotine replacement drugs once, and it did not LEAD to a successful quit, that the chances those NR drugs will ever help again drops dramatically.  This is a link to just one article regarding this.  http://www.whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksCAids.html.  Your literature says it will double the chance of a successful quit, which makes me think that is for those who have never used them before.  Do you know the research about those who are not successful using these drugs the first time?

I am fearful of getting on any type of SSRI's or other types of medications because I have finally weened myself off of Cymbalta, and the brain zaps were horrible.  I feel like maybe Wellbutrin might help me, but it seems that those have the potential of withdrawal s/e like brain zaps as well.  I want to be clear of any psychotropic medications.

Should I again try the NR drugs?  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rnittoli

well, my cousin is on wellbutrin and shes still smoking.

alot of people say cold turkey is the best way to quit, although for me cold turkey lasted 13 hours. i have heard that if the nrt's dont work the first time then they prob wont work the 2nd. but this is my third time trying with nrt's. im using the gum and the patch and notice that its helped me dramatically rather than just using the gum alone.

in my opinion, i think that you should do whatever you feel is right for you. i know the gum helped me last time, i just wasnt strong enough to deal with the mental withdraws. now i have both the patch and gum, and im dedicated to quitting this time. its only day 5 for me, but im not ready to blow someones head off yet.  😃

good luck with everything and if you need someone to talk to, be sure to hit me up.

0 Kudos
freedom8

Thanks for your feedback, I needed to hear that!

0 Kudos
tread

This is my third time with NRT, patches alone.  Big difference though.  I have never owned up to being addicted to nicotine.  In the past ive seen NRT as a way to break the habbit of smoking.  Not once did I continue with NRT after the first week, as I saw I didnt 'need' a smoke.  Turns out I still needed the nicotine.  I will continue with NRT until I dont need it anymore. 

0 Kudos