cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

didster7

Hello,

I'm new here and looking for some support. I quit smoking Jan 30, 2011 and am still having cravings. I just found this site so I am hoping to get feedback. I have gained 20lbs in the 2&1/2  months since I have quit. I plan to tackle the weight issue when I'm sure I'm not going to light up again. I am even dreaming about smoking and in the dreams I am really enjoying a cigarette. Sometimes it makes the cravings hard to bear. Thanks for listening.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Glad to see you found the BLogs. That's where we all hang out. I'm putting a response on your blog now.  Welcome to Ex!

0 Kudos
lisafdb2

I am also new here, looking for support. I Need to quit. I am so willing to quit now.

0 Kudos
viola-bow

Hi there,

Well done on 2½ months quit! You don't want to go through all that again so stick with it. There is something I have read about called the icky threes which means the danger times and hardest times are 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months. It could be that you are heading into the final hard period.

Are you on nicotine patches? When I have previously used them they can trigger very vivid dreams often about smoking but how nice is it to wake up and discover it was only a dream!

I do know what you mean about morning cravings. I am only up to day 41 but mornings are the hardest. Not every day though. I smoked 50 a day for 31 years so the timespan is pretty similar for both of us.

Just remember though. If you smoke you are only reinforcing the habit/addiction. We need to uncondition ourselves. Easier said than done but we are getting there through one crave at a time. Minute by minute, second by second if need be. It is nowhere near as hard now as the first two weeks. Remember them?

I am not using patches this time....gum and the inhaler and lots of lollies and I too have put on weight but I am also starting to exercise now by walking the dog a lot further, dancing around the house to music and just basically moving more cos its not hurting my lungs nor is it scary like it used to be to move! It is lovely. I can't believe how different it is to breath already.

You are doing great getting through those morning craves and having a shower is a great way to combat them cos its a little hard to smoke in the shower.

You have done so much hard hard work. Just remember according to the icky three rule this is apparently normal.

Keep your quit!

viola

d41

0 Kudos
viola-bow

Also if you wrote one, go back over your reasons and convictions for quitting. Keep them fresh in your memory. I do that often. It always helps.

0 Kudos