cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bobby25

Morning of day 3...

... and I am literally in tears right now. I have smoked a pack and half to two packs for over 22 years, and quitting is ungodly tough! I received a bad report at my doctor last friday and definitely have to quit. BUT, I want a cigarrette sooo bad right now!! I have the nicotine gum, and some hard candies, but they really seem to be minimalistic when it comes to real help and cravings! I guess another part that makes this so hard is the fact that I work from home and am used to smoking whenever I want. Any tips, hints, prayers, etc.. that you have.. geeez, I sure could use them! Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
onelasttime

Really don't sound like you had time to prepare for this. So you are going to really get busy getting educated about this addiction.Therre are a number of websites with alot of information on themI know I smoked for over 35 years and tried to quit seversl time only once serious before this one. I took chantix the last time and this time for a cuple of weeks. I think you have to really want this decde that you are doing it not trying doing.It is tough no matter how you choose to quit.You have to get in the right mind set first off. When the craving stike just say no and move on. Get rid of all smoking materials even the ashtrays believe me they will even haunt you.If you don't have them you can't smoke them right? With the nrt you shouldn't have as bad of withdraws since you are still getting the nic.The rest is mental you have to reconstruct your patterns of life make a list of reason to quit. A list of reason to smoke.Read these blogs there are some wonderful people with some helpful information. also checkout  quitsmokingonline.com  whyquit.com read read read.I will add you to my friend page and will be checking back on you. BELIEVE YOU CAN

0 Kudos
bobby25

Thank you for the words of encouragement! You are correct; I had zero time to prepare. I actually felt better after writing my bit and reading your response and stories of others. I think it's also worth noting that I got into a coughing frenzy a couple of minutes ago and I produced a really thick dark (almost black) colored phlegm. Wow, I could only imagine what my lungs my look like… There’s another little piece of encouragement for me! I will take what I can get! It is amazing how a small little ‘cancer stick’ can control you. I keep telling myself… A couple of hits from a cig may taste good, but I will feel like hell afterwards.. and then I will have to begin this process all over again! I BELIEVE I CAN!

0 Kudos
onelasttime

YES EVEN AFTER 44 DAY QUIT I DON'T COUGH THERE JUST FEELS LIKE THERE IS SOMTHING IN MY THROAT NEED TO CLEAR IT ALL THE TIME WHEN I CAN FINALLY GET IT OUT IS IT DARK AND DISCUSTING.I HAVE FOUND THAT JOLLY RANCHERS CHERRY OR SOUR APPLE HELPS GET THE STUFF UP. OR A HOT STEAMY SHOWER.IT IS KINDA SCARY WHAT WE MIGHT SEE IF WE COULD I KNOW I WOULD LOVE TO GO GET A CHEST EXRAY TO SEE THE DAMAGE I HAVE DONE BUT I AM SCARED OF THAT. I LOST MY MOM TO LING CANCER AND I HARBOR THAT FEAR.I JUST KEEP PRAYING THAT I QUIT SOON ENOUGH.I KNOW I HAVE DONE DAMAMGE THAT CAN NEVER BE REVERSED BUT HOPEFULLY NOT ANY THAT I CAN'T LIVE WITH. YOU DON'T REALLY ANT A DRAG OF A SMOKE THAT JUST THE ADDICTION TALKING TO YOU. REFUSE IT. LET YOURSELF HEAL. WE MAY LIVE A LONG TIME WHO WANT TO DRAG A OXYGEN TANK AROUND FOR ONE DAY LET ALONE A LIFE TIME. I WILL BE THINKING OF YOU AND HOLDING YOU IN MY PRAYERS. HAVE A GREAT DAY HOLD ON TIGHT ITS A SCARY RIDE BUT ITS SO WORTH IT!!!!

0 Kudos
thayer54

I sent you a message.  I hope it helps. Keep your willpower strong and if you need to scream..........feel free.  It is one way to clear the lungs......hahahahaha.

0 Kudos
bobby25

I don't have a ton of news to share, but I did want to pop back on to give a quick update... Today is day 5 and I am still not smoking! It has definitely been a struggle up until now... but I am hanging in there with lots of support from family and friends... and lots of prayers too! I CAN DO THIS!

0 Kudos
jeff4

Hang in there .... It really is worth it ! I'm at day 43 and still have certain parts of the day that are triggers. You just have to work through each one/each time, one at a time and keep focused on your quit. Everyone has a different take on the aid that works best for them. I've tried them all at one time or another and the patch worked best for me. It doesn't work as well for some others.

I was a "pack and a halfer" for nearly 40 years. I've had short term successes in the past but this is the first time I can really say that I'm committed as it's the first time I have had some actual health problems from my smoking. I'M DONE! I have no interest in ever smoking anything again even though I still have cravings for it...that just goes to show you how strong this addiction is.

Good Luck - Stay Strong

0 Kudos