cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Nyima_1.6.13

Mindfulness & Acceptance Group Blog #12: Emotions run high!

Quitting smoking can be an emotional roller coaster. Mindfulness can help you put the brakes on run away feelings. Practicing mindfulness helps us to take an objective, observational stance toward our internal experience. This, in turn, allows us to accept our thoughts and emotions as just that rather than taking them as a literal reflection of reality. Thoughts and emotions are not facts they just reflect your experience or your perception of a situation. Just because something feels a certain way doesn't mean it's true and just because you think something doesn't make it a fact! 
  Remember, the cravings, crabby, crying and cursing are all nothing more than thoughts! While we don't want to judge our thoughts or emotions, we do want to take 'response ability' for how we choose to react to them. A cigarette never has and never will 'fix' the way you are feeling!

The following are ten common myths that some people believe about the way they feel. If you have faulty beliefs about your emotions it will only make it more difficult for you to manage your behavior.
  1.   There is a right way and a wrong way to feel in every situation.
  2.   It's not healthy to feel angry, sad or worried.
  3.   Happy/emotionally healthy people don't experience painful emotions.
  4.   Feeling sad, anxious or any other emotion is weak.
  5.   Painful emotions are destructive.
  6.   If others don't agree/approve with how you feel, you shouldn't feel that way.
  7.   Painful emotions are bad and need to be fixed.
  8.   Being emotional means being out of control.
  9.   It's not healthy to express your emotions.
  10. Painful emotions will never go away if you don't act to make them go away.

If you question any of these myths, please feel free to comment and I will try to respond. I think the biggest myth we tell ourselves in our quest to quit: Smoking made me calm/happy. 
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Hi Nyima,

Great post! I think you really hit the nail on the head with the last line that quitting smoking will make us happy. I quit for 7 years and I can't remember being any happier. In fact I went through a major depressive disorder during that time but so what? I honestly feel this whole "happiness thing" is overated in some way. Sometimes I'm happy and sometimes I'm not but what I do remember being was feeling RELIEVED that I was no longer poisoning my body. THAT I do remember because every morning during which I smoke I remember waking up with a sense of dread to what I was doing to myself. That FREEDOM from addcition is easy to take for granted and that's exactly where your "mindfulness" fits in quite nicely. It becomes so easy to forget just what a miracle it is to free ourselves from the chains of a 2 to 3 pack a day habbit. My God! To be able to be present and breathe deeply is such a gift after so many years of being yanked up and down between the fix and the withdrawl of nicotine.

Meditation is hard. I used to try 2 hours straight zazen with koan fixation. What a ride! It is a very slow and soft water upon a very hard stone and only a long time begins to make this stone smooth. It is this smoothness that I wish for myself. Happiness is not that important any longer for me.

Thank you for your wonderful post and succint insight.

Peace,

David.

0 Kudos
joyeuxencore

Lovely as usual! xo

0 Kudos
pamelaine123

Thank you for this post!

0 Kudos
tizzie1377

Beautiful 🙂 and profound!

I copied & pasted it for my daily email view each morning.

tizzie

0 Kudos
tizzie1377

well stated David ~

right smack on the table....truth & concrete :  "To be able to be present and breathe deeply is such a gift after so many years of being yanked up and down between the fix and the withdrawl of nicotine."

what a GOAL huh?~~~~~   beautiful

0 Kudos