cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Giulia

Lean on Your Quit

(I posted this back on April 9, 2016, and just posted a comment on it to bring it back up to the surface, but since that didn't work, I'm republishing it.  Sorry if that's frowned upon, but it was 6 years ago and since we can't go directly to our blogs to find them to provide a simple link, I thought it might be of benefit to those who haven't read it before.  Also I did a minor edit on it.)

=============================================================

What I mean by that is, after you’ve achieved a certain amount of longevity in your quit you’ll find that it’s something to LEAN on - for strength, rather than shy away from with wishes of smoking and fear of failure. Our quits make us stronger as people because the results of self-discipline are always encouraging and empowering. The act of quitting empowers us in ALL aspects of our lives. Because for all the kudos I give to Alan Carr and his Easy Way, few of us actually find it so. And when you’ve stuck it out, done the homework, taken the knocks and stayed in the ring long enough to achieve success (whatever that success is for you, 24 hours, a week, three months, a year), you realize you can do ANYTHING! Your quit is your baby. You’ve studied the parenting manuals, born it, gone through the sleepless nights with it. You’ve gotten mad at it, loved it, nurtured it - it’s changed your life and it’s taught you something too. And that change is extraordinary. It’s also something that is all yours. Nobody can take it away from you. Well, except YOU, by relinquishing it. The pride you will feel in it, because of the self-discipline you’ve employed, will embolden you to embark upon other remarkable self-improving journeys.

You won’t know that for quite a while, won’t understand what I’m talking about really if you’re new at this. But believe me and believe all of us who have long-term quits - quitting is the most amazingly empowering journey you may ever take. Embrace it for all you’re worth. You will NEVER regret it. And it just keeps getting better.

When all else is turning to emotional mayhem all around you, you’ll find that’s when the security of your quit is the one immovable force that you can rely on. That’s when you’ll understand what I mean by leaning on your quit.  It can be the rock you cling to instead of the rock that drowns you.

Labels (1)
2 Replies
green1611

Great message. Thanks for reposting. Indeed, lean on !

0 Kudos
Giulia

Thanks for the response, Green.

0 Kudos