cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nancipanci

Just quit on Sunday...HELP!!!

I've tried 3 times in the past 5 years and always cave-in. I'm looking for a "Quit Buddy" and some general support. I am on 2mg Commits to use just for trigger and routine moments. I was trying to go Cold Turkey but my family was getting the brunt of my crankiness. I REALLY want to quit this time for several reasons: my son wants me to stick around, I just got diagnosed with pneumonia (BIG wake-up call) and I could save a ton of money!!!

Any advice or support anyone has would be GREATLY appreciated!!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
cheryl1965

Hi!  I just signed up today, I've been smoking way to long and need to quit.  I need a buddy to help me through this as well.  My Mom passed away 5 months ago of lung cancer and I kept thinking, why should I quit, she died, I'm going to die anyways (probably of the same thing), but I'm not ready to die, I want to quit so bad, maybe we can help each other?

0 Kudos
gina58

Hello.  I'm new to this site and new to not smoking after a lifetime of it.  I haven't smoked for over 8 weeks and only got here by committing to one day at a time, mostly.  There were many moments of "one hour at a time" where I would "make a deal" with myself that I would buy cigarettes if what I was feeling was as intense in another 20 minutes.  And it never was.  I also kept a keen eye on myself when I felt stressed or run down.  And when it has been really bad I just sat with it.  Okay, it's going to be tough, I told myself.  But not forever.

Best wishes to you.

0 Kudos
nancipanci

Congrats on 8 weeks Gina! That seems like forever away for me. After 8 weeks, is it still as hard as when you originally quit? Thank you for your advice, support and best wishes.

0 Kudos
jwandtke51411

I too am new on here. my official quit day was yesterday and i am on the 21 mg nicotine patch. not sure if i can get the nicotine gum to help with the craves when im irratable. I get very restless and annoyed when my kids bicker and when people start getting loud i just want so bad to get a smoke. but i have stuck it out and have gotten tootsie pops as i noticed before i decided to quit that when i wanted a cigg i was grab one and it held me off and i have a new addiction to the green apple tootsie pop lol. i just want to know how long is the intense craving when i get upset gonna last and if i can get the nicotine gum too thanks guys and i hope we can all quit together.

0 Kudos
craftylady

You guys are ahead of me.  I am just doing my planning and cutting back.  Trying to decide whether I want to use the gum, patch, lozenges, etc..  And if so which one?

0 Kudos
olykerry

I'm also new here, and I quit three days ago. I'm having good results with a combination of patches, lozenges, gum, and an e-cigarette when I'm desperate. Had to take a patch off today because I felt like I was getting too much nicotine. During a practice quit some time ago, I was using only 2mg nicotine gum, and it barely took the edge off. I smoked more or less half a pack a day forever so I thought I wouldn't need a higher dosed nicotine gum, but I've had a MUCH easier time staying cheerful with 4mg gum and 4mg lozenges, can you get stronger ones or maybe use two? I smoked for 20+ years and figure I need all the nicotine replacement I can get to get through the psychological shock and grief and rewiring of quitting, I can and will taper off the physical dependence on nicotine when I am used to my life without smoking.

0 Kudos
beckybmez

I have tried everything known to man, to quit. This time, i am doing the chantix. I have been quit for 39 days now!!! Whatever it takes to get there, we have to do. Keep up the good work!!

0 Kudos
beckybmez

I would LOVE to have some quit buddies!!! The more the merrier:)

0 Kudos
wam501

Congratulations nancipanci I also quit on Sunday as well. I thought it would harder but I think my mind set helped me tremdously. I knew it was time I knew I wanted it and I knew if I had the right tools I could get through the worst times. I use gum, patches and an e-cig.  My hardest cig to give up was the "morning" cig with coffee. But with the e-cig I can drink my coffee and still feel as though I didn't give up anything. Be very proud of yourself !! Everyone here should be proud of becoming a non-smokers it  is one of the hardest addictions to beat but perseverance and determination are helpful allies.

6 years ago my mother died of lung cancer and she asked me to please quit for her, while she dying....I just hope she can see me now and I hope I've made her happy wherever she is.

0 Kudos