cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

craigb

Just Decided to Quit on Tuesday Cold Turkey.

Found this site and it seems to reccomend a gradual reduction of smoking however I just know myself and I have always been an all or nothing kinda of guy. Any words of advice and encouragement are welome. I think I will be"living" here for the next little while.
Cheers

Craig
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
rachel17

Even though you have already quit I would try to work through what your smoking triggers are. I didn't do that thoroughly and I faltered at first. Good luck! KEEP THE QUIT!!!
0 Kudos
elaine12

Hey Craig - I ve always been an all or nothing kind of person too - Quit 3 weeks ago today, has not been easy - but this web site has been an immense help!! Everyone here seems to be honest in their feelings and that helps.
Just remember to take it one second at a time - when the craving hits, drink water, walk do anything to take away the craving. I used the patch for 4 days and then read alot of info on this web site and others and decided cold turkey was a better way to go. I had quit smoking 8 years ago with the patches and did not last. Mind you this was after my husband had his larynx removed because of smoking, he can no longer talk. Think about that, its not a pretty picture, he breathes thru a hole in his neck. Not trying to depress you, just trying to help you understand another good reason to quit!! Good luck and hang in there!!
0 Kudos
dale2

I think the "gradual reduction" you wrote about is probably true, but I noticed more of a "postpone the urge" methodology when I went through the site. I cut down and even quit a few days during August - I think I was checking out the withdrawal symptoms. This site made me understand the science and physiology behind the addiction. The trigger ID is important. I think everyone has to "cold turkey" - or just stop - at some point. My quit day was Sept 15, and so far so good. I'm using the Commit Lozenge. The nicotine replacement in the body seems to quiet the urges - which are very strong. I am currently experiencing occasional confusion along with the physical symptoms - my brain is still adjusting, I guess.
0 Kudos