cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Axl_Jaz-Lay_2

Introduce Myself

Hi Everyone,
I have joined to quit vaping.  I am 60 years old and used/started vaping when I quit 45 year cigarette habit on Feb 27, 2021.  I have no desire for cigarettes but now I despise what vaping is doing to me.  My breathing has greatly improved but now I have a chronic productive cough and hoarseness.  I have not told my doc about it yet - I think I am embarrassed or scared.  I don’t know which!

I hope I can do this! I am very concerned about my health.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit vaping! It's common sense that anything you put in your lungs that isn't clean air can't be good for you! You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done! There is a blog written by one of our success stories that you might find informative: I Quit Smoking and Vaping - EX Community . If you would like to use a quit aid and would like information on the various ones, let me know.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”, which can be purchased online or borrowed from your local library. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction : Nicotine and Your Brain.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced. Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit. If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take the Daily Pledge each day, Just look for it on the home page. It helps to hold yourself accountable to your quit and the community..

You need to distract yourself through any craves. You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game. Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits. Get busy! Here is a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:

101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke - EX Community

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?" Then DO it. You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Axl_Jaz-Lay_2 

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.   Education yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  Many have found success with knowledge and preparation.   It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful.  In addiction to some aids, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit.  For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too.  We're here to support you on your journey.  So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Start your day by taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Pick a quit date, decide if you want to use a quit aid, and begin your journey with us.  

to come. 

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
RainbowHeart

Welcome! Have a look around! Some great advice above. I just wanted to say hello and that you can do this. One day at a time, one minute at a time if need be.

0 Kudos
JohnRPolito

freebird.jpg

Congratulations on your decision to break nicotine's grip upon your mind and life, that's huge.  Here's 100 quit vaping tips.  Hope they help.  Remember, it is IMPOSSIBLE to fail so long as all nicotine stays on the outside.

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John (Gold x23)

John R Polito
I am a contributor to WhyQuit and am willing to assist with those interested in Cold Turkey quitting. I am posting of my own accord with permission from WhyQuit.
0 Kudos