cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

angie17

If you come in here smoking, you better be on fire!

I haven't stopped smoking completely, but I have cut back alot. I have set a quit date of Oct.10 and it seems time is flying! It seems to me that the more I tell myself I can't have something, the more I want it.
I think the hardest thing about quitting so far is the lack of support from other smokers.It seems everyone smokes! Just because they want to keep on smokin' it up, doesn't mean they can't support those who choose to stop. For instance, don't smoke around me, don't tell me about what I'm "missing", and PLEASE don't offer me cigs!
What do you say to unsupportive people?
What do I do on my breaks at work now??
0 Kudos
3 Replies
rj_

Welcome and congrats on the best thing you will ever do for yourself.
I am gonna attach a pdf book that offers great information, one to make sure you look at should be "quitting by gradual withdrawl"

As far as unsupportive peope, ask them hey would you offer a heroin junkie a needle full of heroin, if you can't support me Stay the XXXX away...

as far as work breaks, a five minute walk, around the parking lot, a few stretching moves, isometrecic exercises, deep breathing, visualization excercizes, ...

Regards, RJ - Free and Healing for Two Years, Eleven Days, 8 Hours and 32 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 103 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 29694 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $6,123.77.
0 Kudos
beth11

Welcome, and congrats for getting yourself prepared for that quit date of the 10th. Preperation is so very important. I recall that when I quit, all my 'friends' were practically getting a betting pool together on when I'd start up again. Also, my partner still smoked - even though she picked the quit date! LOL
Those friends that continue to push you or make you feel uncomfortable need to go away for awhile. I'm not suggesting walking away from good friends or your current life. Just a break - well explained to them why - and I will bet you will be surprised by how quickly they realize you are serious and you need support.
This site has turned my life around. Today is six months - practically $800 (based on pre-tax increase cost from when I quit) saved and my life is completey different. My partner is on day five. Good rubs off on people.
As for you smoke breaks, I agree that walking is wonderful. Many reasons, obviously - my favorite reason for walking is keeping track mentally of how much better my breathing and stamina return.
OK, sorry I've run on and on - I am truly glad you are here setting a plan in place well before the 'day'. Remember, this site never closes. Someone is always here to listen, support, kick in the butt, laugh - whatever you need, all you need do is ask.
Keep coming on and talking. If I can quit after 29 years of 1 to 3 packs (depending on life excuses), I believe it is in all of us. Peace.
0 Kudos
angie17

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! How wonderful that there are people out there that understand how hard it is. I haven't been doing great, but I have cut back quite a bit trying to get ready for the "big day". I walked around the block today on one break before I smoked. Kind of defeats the purpose huh lol.
0 Kudos