cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Deb341

I have not used my medical marijuana since I quit

I have severe peripheral neuropathy and am painfully recovering from surgery.  I thought I best to stop smoking my medical marijuana at the beginning of the quit process.  I now have 30 days.  Thoughts on trying it now or do you think will trigger?

Labels (1)
4 Replies
MarilynH

A super CONGRATULATIONS @Deb341 on your awesome 30 day milestone YAY for each and every Day WON with many more to come! 👍I'm sorry about your pain! I don't know what to say about your medical marijuana it's a hand to mouth which could cause triggers, hummm I don't know! Isn't there medical edibles as well that would help your peripheral neuropathy? Congrats again on your precious quit journey, hopefully someone else will be along that can help I'll do a mention with Nancy @YoungAtHeart she may have some links that might be helpful. 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

Congratulations on your 30 day quit!  That is HUGE!  I am not educated on the interactions of marijuana and nicotine...but my gut instinct would be that inhaling a drug might prove to be a trigger you want to avoid.  Could you get a dose of the medical drug in another form, maybe?

Here is some information you might find helpful in the next stage of your quit journey:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Best-of-EX/No-Mans-Land-Days-30-to-130-approximate/m-p/561072#...

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the page.

Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke - EX Community

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

You might want to join other site members by taking the daily pledge when you quit. IT helps to hold yourself accountable and also accountable to others here. Find it at Home (top left), then first blue box.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

@Deb341 Good to hear from you--thanks for the update.  Thirty days is a fabulous achievement.  Think about doing something special for yourself as a reward--you deserve it.

The question about the medical marijuana revolves around whether you're in pain and need it.  Just my opinion, but if you're not smoking it, I wouldn't think it wouldn't be a trigger.  And there are a lot people that smoke marijuana that don't smoke cigarettes.

If you haven't heard of No Man's Land, take a look at this.  It doesn't happen to everyone, but it's good to be aware.

No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate) - EX Community

Stay busy and stay close

Barbscloud_0-1673374151460.gif

Barb

0 Kudos
biscuit9

There is no nicotine in it, so I would think you are ok.

0 Kudos