cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

grant5

I don't know what to do.. Help

I don't know where to start. Im stuck in a rut and honestly see no way of getting out. I have smoked for 57 years. and i am afraid of how it will feel to live life without smoking. Help Help Help Help
0 Kudos
15 Replies
grant5

Please don't reply to this say just put the smokes down. It is no wher enear that easy.
0 Kudos
barbara42

pit the smokes down, it is that easy and it is that hard just do it
0 Kudos
fiveblessings

57 years is indeed a lifetime of smoking. But if it is important to you and you are motivated and have a good plan in place, it is doable. Try going with the Ex plan...it has good ideas and I learned alot about myself and my smoking style. Come to your quit prepared...it really helps alot. This site is full of compassionate people, some with long term quits, who are here soley to give you the support and encouragement you need. Think of this as the lovely chance to reinvent yourself! I wish you the best of luck and hope you'll give us a try!
0 Kudos
grant5

I don't know how to live life with out my smokes. I can't see how i could possilbe go through one day with out smoking. Life will feel so different. Thank you five blessings. How do i get on a plan
0 Kudos
sharon54

Hi Grant,

You can kind of ease into it. For example, 1st stop smoking in your car. Then stop smoking on the phone, then after mowing etc.. And/or work on the seperation exercises on this site, where you delay that cig after a meal etc.

It will seem very strange at first but after a bit, you will probably start being proud of yourself because you're doing it - you're working on quitting. Momentum will begin to kick in.

Then start allowing yourself to dream how you will use all the spare time, energy and how you will enjoy rediscovering yourself - the non-smoking self.

Pretty soon your mind will start assisting you in finding ways to quit, new things to keep yourself busy and if you let it be, you can be smoke free.

One big thing though - please don't allow yourself to feel you are 'giving up' cigarettes and depriving yourself, but rather think of all the things you are gaining by 'giving' yourself the gift of freedom and health.

Hope this helps 🙂
0 Kudos
patrick10

Grant...ask yourself this..."Who controls your life?"...if the answer is (and it should be) YOU...then don't let some leaves wrapped in paper stear the ship. You smoked, you enjoyed some of it, sometimes...not so much. But you have made a decision, and you are in control of you. So say it to yourself, "Later smokes...it's been fun, but I am moving on...nothing controls Grant but Grant."

Never underestimate your strength...once you kick this, you'll start looking around the room for what's next...and believe me...you'll be able to do anything you set your mind to. Everything else will seem easy. You can do it my friend!!!
0 Kudos
jennie3

Have you tried tracking your triggers?
Everything unknown is scary at 1st. I was so scared even remembering that scary feeling puts my heart into my stomach . Research about smoking and the effects and such then you will have amo to begin with,we will be here to help you along the way
0 Kudos
jennie3

Have you tried tracking your triggers?
Everything unknown is scary at 1st. I was so scared even remembering that scary feeling puts my heart into my stomach . Research about smoking and the effects and such then you will have amo to begin with,we will be here to help you along the way
0 Kudos
rj_

Grant,

Your life will be greatly improved, calm inner peace will replace the need for a fix.

please trust me, this is doable, as a long time addict of better than 30 years at the rate of 2-4 packs a day plus dip, chew, pipe and cigars it is doable.
Come up with a plan, and stick to it, the best defense is a good education, learn how nicotine has rewired your brain to believe nicotine is the most important thing in your life (been there)

Trust me, quiting can be done, it only takes 72 hours after the last dose for all the nicotine to be gone from your blood. After that it is a matter of sticking with the commitment.
I am attaching a couple documents please read them, and decide on a plan, then quit.

RJW....Free at Last, healing 360 days after 32+years, saving 50 days of life, and 3,291.92, not inhailing 14,415 death sticks by chosing to never take another puff not one puff ever one day at a time.
0 Kudos