cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

khous12

I am nearing quit date. Help

I have smoked a long time.  I really do not want to fail this time.  Any tips or advice is appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kola2178

Good luck!!

All quits are different and personal all I can tell you is here is what worked for me after several failed quits over the years.

First and foremost,  Quit because you WANT to quit, be sick of smoking, sick of being sick, sick of spending all of that money on cigarettes, sick of stinking like cigarettes, sick of being short of breath.  Sick of all the "wonderful" things that smoking brings to your life.

You have to quit because you want to quit, not you have to quit or someone else wants you to quit.

Work on your triggers like this site recommends,  don't have anything "automatic" about smoking,  no ashtrays in the same place all of the time,  keep your cigarettes in a different place,  don't light one when you first get up, don't talk on the phone with a cigarette, don't drive with one.  Break all of these habits first,   then quit.

Embrace your quit, be HAPPY you have quit.  Don't go into it thinking "Oh this is going to be horrible,  my best friend the cigarette is leaving me,  its going to be horrible"

Instead,  think  Yeah,  I'm not smoking anymore,  I'm not wasting all of that money,  I'm chosing life instead of smoking.

I was smoking 3 packs a day, and have been smoking for 38 years,  today is the 4 weeks smoke free.   I'm using Nicotine gum, and its working for me this time.  I've tried NRT before and still failed  this time I have my mind in the right place and its working.

I wish you the best,  find what works for you,  read all the blogs you can, there are some really GOOD ideas out there!!

0 Kudos
oli2

Reading Kola's post really has helped me today. On day 3! 

0 Kudos
sara-louan

Yes, Kola's advice is some of the best i have read since I joined all of you.  And, everyone is very supportive here.  It's great,

My quit date is coming up Mar. 3rd I am a little worried myself.  But lately I have been so sick, maybe due to cigarettes or the pain pills that i take for the pain I experience. 

I am certain that litle by little I will begin to feel better and better, especially after day 21. 

Anyway, this suggestion may be helpful to you, it's been working on me and my subconscience for awhile now;

I have been writing notes to myself, and putting them all around.  such as; You'll feel better!

I will have $150.00 more per month to spend on pleasure,

I'll have move life, because I'll be moving around more. 

More movement means more life

Get out of the house and do something

Pat myself on the back for every positive move ...

I hope this works for you.

0 Kudos