cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

I Did It

I did it!  Yesterday I expressed my fear of passing my old cigarette pick up store.  Last night I feared going to the train station to pick up my husband and knowing I needed gas in the car, so I didn't get gas at the station.  This morning, through self-"yelling", I marched into the gas station and said "$11 on 7".  Very funny how the place I use to get cigarette was 7/11.  I filled up my tank and said "I'm proud of you Michelle.  Now go and get ready for work".  I did it!  Going on day 6.  Day 5 was WON.

39 Replies
MichelleDiane

We are all unique, but not in our efforts to quit.  Welcome to the real world.  Enjoy it smoke free.

-Michelle

elvan

desiree465  I was seriously ill when I quit and as I started to improve...it was getting to be time to return to work.  I had been off not just because of illness but because it was winter break at the school where I was working.  I was terrified to return to work, I was certain that I would not be able to concentrate and that I would make mistakes trying to do things.  I actually did great...even my one smoking friend who was a coworker at the time understood that I could not go outside with her to take a break.  First of all, it was FREEZING, there was no way I was going out there but I also took that opportunity to explain to her how important my quit was and how I had to do everything to protect it.  I talked so much about my quit and about EX that I am absolutely certain people wanted to tell me to just SHUT UP.  I didn't care, it helped me and I knew it wasn't hurting anyone...might have challenged their mental health a bit but I got some really enthusiastic support from students.

desiree465

Lol I talk about it all the time too. Luckily two of the closest people to me are quitting so I can talk their ear off about it and they can do the same to me. I'm guessing that need will go away with time. 

elvan

Yeah, I don't spontaneously start conversations with complete strangers in line at the grocery store now...just to tell them that I recently quit smoking.  Hahaha...some of the looks I got were priceless.  I never did it if I smelled smoke, I didn't want to be attacked.  I was surprised by the number of people who would tell me THEIR quit stories.  I am glad you have two people who you are close to who are also quitting.  May I just remind you of something?  You are each the owners of your own quits...don't let someone else's issue become yours.  I quit with people in the past and when they slipped...it was  my opening.  That had to do with my own commitment.  When I quit this time, my oldest daughter also quit but she went back to smoking early in her quit.  She DID eventually quit after a while and has now been quit for over two years.  She lives in NY and was paying over $12 a pack.  She also did not feel well so she made her commitment and she went forward.  I am really happy for her.  I am really happy for you as well.

Ellen

desiree465

That is so great for you guys. Congratulations! Unfortunately I've done this with them before and I'm usually the one that breaks first. But your advice is good because they always went right back after I did. This time feels different though because I really just want it for me. It helps having them as support but you are so right about it being about your own quit. Wonderful advice as usual:) 

susan_m

Atta girl!

clapping.gif

Keep on keepin on,

M n @

MarilynH

A super duper Congratulations on your splendiferous quit, yay and yay again I'm so happy for you isn't that the greatest feeling ever and I'm smiling that it's 7/11 store, you'll be enjoying many more of these awesome moments.

anaussiemom

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!  Congratulations.

0 Kudos