cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jdc

How to make it through without messing up?

I just quit smoking two days ago, and it is very hard.  I am expecting a baby...well my wife is LOL.  Due date for my baby is November 11, 2010.  That is one of the very few things that keeps me from smoking.  I was wondering if anyone else keeps a "dooms-day" pack around the house?  Does anyone have any good tips on how to beat the cravings and anxiety that I feel?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
freebreath

The plans....the lists helped me to redirect my lifestyle away from the toxic poison smoke behaviors. What do I want in my life? That is the part. And not giving up. Learning from the experiances of being me.

I spent hours reading on whyquitnow.com and from books I checked out of the library about the quitting process. I decided that making this shift in my life direction IS the CENTER of my life for now. ANd will be anytime that issue is in question again. Which with this addiction, and all the triggers and oppertunities that are presented are so many that it will like be rising up agian so plan on that at all times. These are the woods that one never really gets all the way out of so know that, and quit and stay quit anyway.

I decided that NOT SMOKING was the key behavior and after failing to succeed to my hearts desire I then used the nicotene replacement products while continuing to devote time day and night as needed to learning about and focusing on the Quit and then establishing an EX status and maintaining my Ex status by maintaining the Quit.

When I did finallly get to a one losenge per day level of nicotene use, I also was having a soft little voice that was saying go for it  . And I did stop.

For me the direction is to relax. The motivation is gentle and the way is to breathe air only. Allow the change to matter. Allow the fact that I need to practise how to not neglect my real needs is the central issue for me. Living without using tobacco is admitting I do not know how to do this and the only way to learn is to do it second by second, minute by minute, day by day, year after year. And I need the example of others who also donot and the never dids as well reminders that there is many ways to live possitively. Others feel the same things I do and get by without ever doing that and that is the pathway I am following.

The good news is I LOVE IT. I love waking up to this world where I do not feel like that anymore. It is in all things aabout being me from the texture of my spit in my mouth to the air in my lungs to the mood and my sense of dignity and pride of choices to get here.

Bon Voyage. REally.

0 Kudos