cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mona15

How did you quit?

I've smoked 13 cigs yesterday and today and threw away the pack so I wouldn't smoke anymore..  Visiting my late Pastor's wife on Wednesday and am going to ask her to help me quit.  My quit date is Feb. 13.  I've been struggling with cigs over 15 years, ever since my beloved husband Sam died unexpectedly.  I used to smoke a pack and a half a day and am now smoking almost a pack a week.  The more I smoke, the more I smoke.  Thanks.

36 Replies
maryfreecig

I had my pains and grief, broken things. Those aside, in 2013, I dove into my quit with the understanding that once I was free of the addiction, if then I wished to smoke, I could. Quitting had to be my goal, not my wounds. I didn't think I could do it--but I did. So thankful for that today...but it was not so long ago I fussed about quitting. One day at a time, anyone of us can quit and stay quit. 

Welcome to Ex. Keep coming back. Thanks for blogging.

Mona15

Very interesting and helpful!

Mona15

I'm very grateful for this site but it's going to take me a while to learn how to navigate everything.

Sootie

We all quit differently---but one thing I can tell you is common on this site is EDUCATION! We all believe you have to read, read and read more about quitting, addiction and what is going to happen. This is the secret whether you go cold turkey or use an aide/medication. I personally like whyquit.com for info......but others will suggest other readings and all are good.

Stay Strong

Giulia

How can we help you to make navigation more easy?  This is important.  I've heard other new members speak of this problem. This is a new platform for the EX site.   If people can't navigate the site, then they're not going to stick around.  What kind of problems are you having?  What is it that you think would be helpful.  What is that you think is lacking in making navigation easier?  Throw it out there.  I'm going to put up a blog to see if I can get more new quitters to express the problems they have with understanding how the site works. 

Meanwhile - in answer to your blog title question:  I achieved a lasting quit (almost 12 years ago now) by making a commitment for a specific amount of time.  FOREVER was too much to handle emotionally for me.  I then joined a quit support site (it was before the EX site was created).  I listened to the people who had been, done that.  I asked questions.  I learned about the addiction and the journey ahead.  I prepared well for it with the suggestions and advice given.  And then I jumped into the fray.  And then I simply held fast to my commitment.  This is a 100% deal.  You're either in it, or your out of it.  There can't be a "just one." Keep reading.  Knowledge is the savior.

anaussiemom

Best way to help each other:  If your speaking, of a link, perhaps type the link" in when ever you  mention to read this or that  

Thank you!
Kim

0 Kudos
Mona15

I don’t know how to proceed once I go to the site, or how to be organized  in my navigation. Right now am just reading comments that got emailed to me by the site, and am responding to those. 

anaussiemom

Your doing fabulous.   Reaching out is a great way to stay quit.  Just keep reaching out we will  keep the support going, for you and with you.

Mona15

Thank you for the encouragement and support

0 Kudos
Giulia

Just saw your response to me.  Here's an FYI - a great way to get someone's attention on the site is to do an @mention.  That means press Shift 2 on your keyboard (which creates the "at" symbol) and then the person's avatar name.  No space between the two.  We each have our notifications set up differently.  For me, if you @mention me, I'll get a notification.

There are several ways to get around the support side of the community.  I begin with my inbox:

After I've read through those I go to the Home Page:  

And then click on   

Hope this helps some.  Don't hesitate to PM me with more navigation questions.  I'll do my best to assist.